Monday, March 14, 2016

Chain Reaction 1.43: It Was Awesome!



     A month goes by before I hear from Alex again. We only talk on the phone, and I hear all about the new branch of the firm. He asks if Graham found out about his visit and how he reacted if he did. I told him Graham wasn't happy. Alex said he didn't blame him.
     I start back to work, so Graham and I don't see each other much except the few hours after I get home from work and when he gets home from work before I leave. It's tough. My favorite time is after I get home and, after taking care of Ethan, go and snuggle with Graham in our warm bed. He says he hates sleeping through that, but I tell him to go ahead and sleep. He says he does like waking up with me there.

     Ethan will age to child soon. It'll happen so fast: he's a baby and poof! child. Even with the lifespan set on long, his babyhood is so short. I almost want another one. Almost. We need a bigger house.

     One morning before Graham goes to work, the day arrives. Neither of us are emotionally ready for this, but we know it's part of life.

     Graham and Alex were right. He does resemble me, only with Graham's brown hair.
     Makeover time!

     He's a rambunctious little guy.
     The Maker put a lot of trouble into his everyday and sleep outfits when she did the makeover, but she completely ignored the swimwear, thinking it'd never be used anyway. So, it figures that it's the first outfit in gameplay in which he's pictured.
     I get jealous of Graham and all the time he gets to spend with him. Ethan goes to school while I'm at home. I spend that time studying for work, fishing, and collecting rocks. Ethan and Graham arrive home at very close hours. Then, they get to spend time together while I go to work.

     I know I shouldn't begrudge the time they spend together, but I can't help but be jealous. I'd quit my job or get a different one, but I'm getting promoted. Plus, we need the money.

     My nights off are different.
     "So how was school, Ethan?" Graham asks in a typical manner.

     "It was fine. The best was after school when I went to the park! Claire was there!"

     "I burped in her face."

     "It was awesome!"

      I turn and look at my little boy in surprise. "Who's Claire?"
      Graham answers for him. "She's a little friend from his class."
      "You burped in her face? I doubt she thought it was awesome." I watch as Ethan turns to his dad and they share a knowing look. I'm pretty sure they're thinking Girls... and mentally shaking their heads.
      "Well, Mom, if it makes you feel better, she did then beat me when we raced on the monkey bars," he explains.

     He continues, "That's when I fell and got my jeans muddy. Dad told me I needed to change. She only beat me because my hand slipped." He pauses, smiling at the memory of getting filthy. "It's okay. I'll get her back for laughing tomorrow. I found an old bird's nest with some old feathers. I'm going to stick them in her hair."

     I ask in a flat voice, "You're what?"
     Graham looks straight ahead, not getting involved in this one.
     "It's okay, Mom, honestly! I washed them first. They're drying right now on my pillow," he tells me like that will make it better.
     This drink isn't strong enough, I think with a groan. "Ethan," I say, trying sound as patient as possible, "you don't bring animal parts into the house. Birds carry all sorts of germs and diseases."
     "That's why I washed them!" he insists, still thinking his plan for tomorrow is a good one.
     "I want you to pick up your pillow, without touching the feathers, take it and throw the feathers off the side of the porch, and then put it in our imaginary washing machine so I can wash it right away. Then, I want you to go take another shower."
      His mouth drops. He turns to face Graham. "Dad?" he asks as a last-ditch effort to salvage his 'awesome' plan.
     "Your mom's right, Ethan. You'll have to find some other way to get back at Claire," he says.
     Ethan lets out a loud, exasperated sigh and gets up to do as I asked.

     After Graham and I wash our dishes, we have a seat on the sofa together. He gives me a knowing look and says, "You know, I can very easily recall someone who'd happily lived in the woods, gutting and preparing the fish she just caught, probably at times getting just as dirty as she doesn't like her son to get now."
     "If you're insinuating he gets that from me..."

     He wraps his arm around me, scooting closer. "I'm not insinuating a thing." He still looks at me like I have no right to talk.
     "Yeah, like you never went out and made mud pies, adding bird feathers as a pretend garnish," I counter, having a vision of a child Graham with mud up to his elbows and some on his face as he begged Sofia to come see his creation.
     "Let's not forget the snails, slugs, and worms I'd dig up." He grins at me.
     I giggle.
     "We survived it. He'll be fine," Graham assures me.
     "I know, but it's still gross."

     Somehow, all our 'it's gross' talk ends up with the two of us here. I can't remember how.

Click here to go to chapter 44

2 comments:

  1. LOL Bri the party pooper. She just doesn't get little boy humor hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR! I mean, c'mon! They're just nasty bird feathers! :D

      Delete