Monday, March 7, 2016

Chain Reaction 1.41: Friendship




     I open the door and see a man standing on our front porch. He has his back to me as he gazes down our street. I assume he's lost and needing directions. I don't know how much help I'll be since the roads of this city are still a mystery to me.
    He obviously didn't hear the door open because he doesn't turn around. "Hello?" I ask.

      My heart drops to my stomach as he turns around and, with a guilty smile, says, "Hello, Brielle."
      "Alex!" I gasp. He's changed! His glasses are different. His hair is longer, and he's grown a tiny mustache.
      "Yeah, you're startled," he says like he's answering an internal question. "Sorry. I tried to think of the best way I could do this and finally decided on this one. Maybe I goofed up again," he quietly explains while I catch my breath.

     "What are you," I breathe again, "doing here?"
     "I'm..." He lets out a quick, nervous laugh. "I'm branching out Dad's company. I've...actually been here a few months."

     "Months?" I ask incredulously.
     "I've been really busy getting everything rolling," he says apologetically. "I...wanted to come and see you sooner, but I didn't want to alarm you, worried you might react...eeeeexactly like you're doing now." He takes a step backwards and puts his hands up in a type of surrender gesture. "It's okay. You're extremely shocked and probably a little wary. I get it. I probably should've called but I thought that maybe face-to-face would work better, me telling you I'm in town and all. I guess this further proves I suck at social behavior." He takes another step back, this time placing his foot on the first stair while I stand here dumbly. "I'll just go. Again, sorry." He turns away.
     "Wait a sec," I say quickly before I can stop myself. Still, I have questions, and there's only one way I'll get real answers.
     "Yes?" he asks as he turns back to me, his hand on the railing. A spark of hope shows in his eyes before he can hide it. He looks down as he steps back up on the porch. "What is it?"

     I start with the least important thing but yet the one with which I'm most comfortable: "You're branching out your dad's company?"
     His eyebrows momentarily twitch together like that wasn't what he expected to hear. "Yyyyyyes... Dad's been wanting to expand this way for years now. It's a big city; there are loads of potential investors."
     "And you offered to do it," I state questioningly, indirectly asking about what's foremost in my mind: if this has anything to do with me.
      He takes a quick breath in and out. "I did." He sounds scared. That bothers me.
      I can't think of another way to put it, so I ask, "Well, why?"
      "I..." He pauses, and the corners of his mouth suddenly lift.

     "Well, I wanted to start my own company, using a loan from him as initial funding, but then I decided 'why shouldn't I simply branch off, using Dad's success?' He suggested Eden, and I jumped at it." He smiles a shy yet proud smile.
      He didn't answer my indirect question. I guess I can understand why. He probably figures things are awkward enough right now without going there.

     I take a deep breath and decide to play along. "Yeah! I mean, why not? It must be great to finally be out on your own, carving your own path, even if it's still somewhat attached to your father. And like you said, Eden is a big city, and the company hasn't gotten a foothold here yet. This is a...great opportunity."
     "Yeah," he agrees, but his smile falls. "And I...missed you."

     I brace myself, and he watches me with a sympathetic expression.
     "More than anything, I missed your friendship. I realized you were the only true friend I had growing up. I know I messed up, uh, royally messed up, but I was hoping that you could find it in you to forgive me. I guess I'm asking for too much, but I thought I'd at least try." He offers a sad smile.
     "Friendship," I state, not trusting him.
     "Like we used to be, like when we were kids. That's all I'm asking for, Brielle."
     I decide to test him. "I don't think my husband would like me being friends with someone he hates."


     He blinks fast twice and clenches his jaw before taking a quick breath through his nose and asking, "He gets to decide who your friends are?"
     He's using my independent streak against me. "No, but how can I be friends with you after you did that to him?"
     "Because I'm asking for your forgiveness. I'd ask for his too, but I highly doubt I've got a rat's as* chance in hell of getting it." The corner of his mouth goes up in a quirky way.
      I quietly watch him, and he looks down at the floor of the porch, shuffling his feet, his hands in his pockets. Suddenly, Ethan starts screaming at the top of his lungs. I let out a huff and turn my head in his direction. When I turn my face back to Alex, I see his jaw has gone slack. He could hide his shock from hearing about my marriage, but the fact that I'm now a mom takes him completely by surprise.


     "He's hungry," I explain.
     "You have a son?!" he asks in quiet shock.
     "Yes," I answer simply.
     Something happens behind Alex's eyes that a regular person wouldn't see. It's only because I know him as well as I do that I do see it. It's like a door closes, leaving behind a blankness.
     "Come inside and meet Ethan," I tell him, taking my turn at a quirky smile. He merely looks at me like he's still processing the new information, but he follows me in.

     Turns out Ethan was wet, not hungry. I change him and, on a knee-jerk decision, ask Alex if he wants to hold him. I don't really wait for him to say no before handing him to him.
     "I've never held a baby before," Alex admits.
     "First time for everything," I say as I watch my once-best friend hold my first born child. "And you're doing fine." I still hover, just in case.

      Alex's voice shakes as he says, "Brielle, you're...you're trusting me, and I've never been so nervous in my whole life."
      "You're fine, Alex," I reassure him. He says he's nervous, but I also notice he doesn't completely stiffen up, trying to be extra gentle. Ethan looks up at him and smiles. "See?" I ask happily.

     Alex lets a happy little 'hah' sound, completely relaxes, and smiles back at Ethan. "Hey there, buddy," he says and reaches for Ethan's hand. My son's little fingers get a strong grip on Alex's index finger while my old friend playfully pretends to do a handshake. "I'm Uncle Alex."
     I smile broadly as I watch the two of them only look at each other.
     "You have a baby, Brielle," he says in happy awe like he feels the need to let me know.
     I laugh quietly. "Yes, I do."
     He glances over at me like he knows he's being a bit ridiculous but doesn't care. He smiles genuinely then looks back at Ethan. "I think he's going to have your eyes."
     "Yes, it's starting to look that way," I agree.
     Alex starts instinctively rocking him, swaying back and forth, and Ethan's eyes drift closed. Almost too quiet for me to hear, Alex whispers, "I wish your daddy didn't hate me."

      Gently and like a pro, Alex puts Ethan in his bassinet. "Is he okay? Does he need a blanket?"
      "He's fine, and they're a suffocation hazard," I explain.
     "Okay," he says very quietly and sighs. Then he stands up and motions to me that we need to leave the room...as if I didn't know that already. I humor him and follow directions.

     I sit down on the couch because heaven forbid sims stand to have a conversation when there is furniture about. Alex walks over to sit next to me.
     "Sorry. You know I'm a bit of an idiot. Of course you knew that..." He implies that I knew we needed to leave to let Ethan sleep. "Yeah," he finishes, unable to say more.
     "It's fine," I tell him with a smile. "It's kinda funny too."

     "I shouldn't stay much longer," he tells me. "I, um, I meant it when I said that I hope we can be friends again."
     I take a deep breath. Alex is back. "Maybe," I say. "Because I still don't know if I can trust that."
     "That's understandable, and it's okay. After all, I am very busy with the company. I still might not be the greatest friend, but I would like to at least keep in touch."
     I think about Graham and what he'd have to say about Alex's visit today. He wouldn't be happy at all, especially that I let him hold the baby. Something about Alex's behavior made me trust him that the last thing he'd do would be to hurt my baby. Graham wouldn't understand that.
     I smile. "Okay."
     He answers my smile with a shaky one of his own and says, "You two are going to make great parents."
     "Thank you," I say quietly, understanding the hidden meaning behind his statement.
     We don't talk for much longer, and Alex gets up to go. He doesn't hug me like he might've tried to. Instead, he quickly walks to the door, says bye, and waves before walking out of it. I stand at the window and watch as his black Audi rapidly drives down the street.

Click here to go to chapter 42

2 comments:

  1. I have to say Alex looks hella creepy with that hair and mustache. LOL

    He's still holding a torch for Bri and he needs to let that go and move on. Seriously there are plenty of other women out there, ones that would be happy to date him he just needs to get out of the damn mud and move forward.

    After what he did to Graham and how creepy he acted in the past, Bri is right not to trust him fully. He's been there for months, possibly watching them...just saying I don't trust him and Graham isn't going to be all that happy to find out he's there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. You're not the only one with that opinion. He's in a bit of a transitional stage. He'll (well, I think so anyway) look a little better the next time we see him.

      Yeah, there are plenty of other women out there. Problem is he's never been very good in social situations. Oh, you bet there are women out there that would take him in a heartbeat! I've been debating throwing one or two in, just to put some more spice into the pot.

      Exactly. She can't trust him fully, and he's well aware of that. Months..he's been very busy with the company. He figured out where she lived, obviously, and he drove by once but didn't stop. Yeah, creepy, but also he chickened out.

      Oh, Graham will surely be pissed...

      Delete