Sunday, May 14, 2017

Chain Reaction 2.47: An Awful Sim





     Alex and I jump back from each other. I have no idea what expression he's wearing because I'm too worried about what Drake's doing. I can't look at either of them. I feel guilty. Why do I feel guilty? It was just a hug, right? It's not like it's the first time we've ever hugged.
     "I'm not 'macking' anybody, Drake," Alex says through his teeth. "I was upset. Emily was comforting me."
     "Do I look stupid to you? You were smelling her hair to comfort yourself?!" Drake's voice raises.
     He's jumping to conclusions. "Drake, he was upset and saying some really self-deprecating-"

      I have to jerk back from the finger in my face. "You can shut your stupid mouth, b*tch! You may be socially inept, but that doesn't mean you didn't know what was happening! And it's not like you were doing anything to stop it, were you?"
    "That's enough, Drake!" Alex yells, losing his temper. "You're jumping to conclusions!"
    Drake glares at his father. "For good reason. You just couldn't stand it, could you?"
    "What are you talking about?" Alex asks in an annoyed way.
    "That I succeeded where you failed. Your loser self couldn't get Brielle, so now you're going to move on to her daughter? That's just sick!"

     "You can shut your cake hole! This has nothing to do with Brielle, and bringing her up again won't work! Have you forgotten that? You'll have to find some other way to get at me, but don't you dare drag Emily into your 'I have to be mean to the world sh*t'!"
     "I wasn't!"
     "So calling her that name wasn't being mean? Sometimes, I'm ashamed to call you my son. I can't believe I fathered such a cruel, insensitive, hateful, rotten sim! You're a disgrace to the Goth name."

     Drake slaps him. The Maker would've preferred a punch, but She has to work with what the game gives Her since She hadn't yet been making poses at the time this happened.
     I gasp, and a red mark starts showing up on Alex's cheek. I know Drake despises his father, but they've never brought it this far.

     Drake goes to hit Alex again, but Alex reaches up and stops him, grabbing his arm just like you'd see in a kung fu movie. That kung fu illusion shatters, though, when Alex swings wide and punches Drake with everything he has. K.O. Drake lands on the floor. I can hardly breathe.
    Alex looks down at his son. "I'm not taking your crap anymore, Drake. If you choose to stay here, keep that in mind. Insulting Emily was the last straw. You start spouting like you've 'won' when you don't even know what you have." While Drake works on standing back up again, Alex looks at me and says, "Emily, you'd do well to break up with him. You could do better."
     Before I can say anything, Drake snarls, "You mean like you?"
     Break up with Drake? How could I do that? It's always been Drake and me, me and Drake.
     Alex doesn't answer him, walking away instead.

     Drake turns to me, and I fight to keep from crying. When did this get so messed up?
     "So, what's it gonna be, Emily?"
     "Drake! Stop it! Nothing happened!" I start shaking.
     "Not from where I was standing," he replies meanly.

     His ice-gray eyes watch me from over the top rims of his sunglasses. Since I haven't said anything, he continues, "You know, I have to wonder what might've happened had I not interrupted."
     "Drake, don't be ridiculous. He'd just broken up with his fiancee for plum's sake." I can feel my lower lip trembling.
     "Yeah. And the whole world knows he didn't give a plum about her." He pauses. "Maybe you are as clueless as you act. Sometimes, Emily, you are incredibly stupid."

     I fold in half, and tears appear on the inside of my glasses.
     I hear that Alex has walked back over when he asks, "Did I not hit you hard enough?"
     Alex is right. Drake is an awful sim. I've tried to look past all his faults because he was the only one to pay any attention to me, but being called stupid by someone I used to tutor hurts.
     "Shut up, Pops."
     Before Alex can reply and the two of them start fighting again, I say, "Then, I guess... I guess I'm just too stupid for you."
     "So, you're breaking up with me?" He doesn't wait for me to answer. "Plum you. I'm breaking up with you."
     A sob slips out. Drake doesn't care.

     Drake's door slams behind him. I guess I should leave. I don't know. This has never happened to me before.
     "I'm sorry," Alex whispers when I walk past him.
     I look at him. Why is he sorry? He defended me. Maybe it's just a generalization 'sorry.' So that he doesn't feel bad, I nod. I don't trust my voice right now.


     When I get back home, Dad is in the living room. He takes one look at my face and jumps off the couch.

     I tell him what happened, and he actually sighs in relief! I knew it! He never wanted me with Drake!
     Well, he got what he wanted.

     He keeps reminding me that one day none of this will matter, that I'll get over him and find someone who appreciates me. On one hand, I have my daddy back, on another, I don't know if anything matters anymore.
     It's not like I loved Drake. At least, I don't think my heart is broken. My feelings are hurt, yes, but I don't think I'm acting like someone with a broken heart. I just feel...empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment