Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Chain Reaction 2.65: Out To Lunch





Emily

     I'm having lunch with Dad today. He's very excited about it. I'm glad to be doing this. He needs reminding that just because I'm living with Alex that it doesn't mean he's never going to see me again.
     "Let me go change!" he tells me.
     I laugh. "Okay."

     It occurs to me that Dad's hair has gotten a bit lighter as he walks up and hugs someone.
     "Braydon! Hey! Glad you could make it."
     "Any time, Graham."
     Uh, what? Is that...
     Dad turns to me. "Emily, you remember Braydon McCullough, right? Raina's little brother? The boy caddy-corner across the street?"
     'Little'? is all I can think.
     "I'll go get us a table," Dad says, walking away.

     "Emily, wow, it's been forever!" Braydon tells me warmly.
     I want to say, 'well, actually, it's been never because just your sister and my brother were friends, not us really.' I suppose we could've been friends, but I didn't go to school with kids my age and I was always around Drake. "It has," is what I actually say.
     "Wow, you were always so smart. I'll bet you've climbed to at least level five of the science career path by now."
     "Uhhh, no, actually-"
     "Oh, sorry. Medical?"
     I frown. I haven't done anything career-based except work on the rocket at home. Having it shoved into my face like this feels awful.
     "No."
     "Hey, kids, our table's ready!" Dad calls out... to both of us?
     Braydon winks at me and smiles. "Will they ever stop calling us kids?"
     I let out a nervous laugh. I'd thought when Dad said he'd get 'us' a table that he meant him and me--just him and me.

     I'm sure to take the seat across from Dad, hoping Braydon will sit next to him. No. He sits next to me. I keep shooting daggers in Dad's direction, but he keeps his eyes everywhere but on my face.
     Braydon keeps talking about how he's heard the food here is great. I want to shove it into his face that the place down the street is ten times better, also ten times more expensive and how my boyfriend can afford it without breaking a sweat. But, do I? No. I keep my mouth shut.
     I'm afraid that if I start up at a rant, it won't stop.
     Just what are you trying to pull here, Dad? I snarl at him in my head.

     "Wouldn't you agree, Emily?" Braydon asks.
     "I'm sorry. What?"
     He looks apologetic. "I guess I am sitting here running my mouth."
     Dad perks up, coming to Braydon's save. "Braydon has been working as a personal trainer at the gym."
     Braydon smiles again. "Yeah. Your dad has been great. Ever since he's retired, he's been a daily visitor. I really have always idolized your dad."
     Glancing his way, I can see Dad looks embarrassed--but not at the right things.
     The personal trainer continues, "You should really come down sometime. I could make you feel right at home." He gifts me with a grin that looks like it belongs on a toothpaste ad. I can almost hear the 'ding' sound from the sparkle. He probably gets his teeth whitened at the spa.
     "I have my own equipment," I tell him patiently.

     Again with the grin. "Oh, but it's not the same as having someone working with you right by your side!"
     Uh huh. I look at him and realize he has no idea I already have a boyfriend. I'd bet he's completely innocent in all this. To him, this is the three of us having lunch together, with my dad obviously hoping he'd ask me out by the end of it.

     "I'll...consider it," I finally say to his...incredible eyes...when he opens them again.
     "I sincerely hope you do. In fact, here's-" He starts to reach into his pocket, but our waiter interrupts.

     "Have you decided what you want?" he asks.
     "I have," Braydon answers, looking at me.
     Dad says, "I actually called ahead with our order. It's under Graham Taylor."
     "Ah yes, of course, Mr. Taylor. I'll inform the chef."
     I turn to Braydon. "Well, that makes the decision easy, huh?" I'm smiling, but really, I want to give my dad the biggest bruised shin ever.
     "So, Emily, you never really answered my question out there. How's your career going?"
     My smile vanishes.

     Dad cuts in. "Oh, Emily has time to get her career going later. She's just trying to find her right place."
     "Oh," Braydon says, acting like he's understanding. "Well, until you do, you could work part time at the gym. Maybe you could be the receptionist. It's always nice to walk in and see a pretty face."
     It takes almost everything I have not to get up and storm out of here. With every second that goes by, I'm more and more convinced that this is a setup exactly like what I'm guessing. Dad is trying to hook me up with Braydon and Braydon is all for it, probably not knowing I'm with Alex. I can't outright say anything because that would be rude, and they could deny it. I'm going to have to sit this out patiently and let him down easy. Braydon is a nice guy--I guess. I mean, the McCulloughs are nice people. I don't want to insult him. Dad, however...
     Braydon excuses himself, headed to the restroom.

     "I can't believe how everyone has grown up so fast," Dad tells me, smiling.
     "What are you doing, Dad?" I'm not smiling.
     "What do you mean?"
     "I'm not stupid." I mean to say more, but our waiter interrupts again.

     "I like Braydon," Dad says with a defensive smile. "He is really nice and has a great sense of humor. You really should give him a chance."
     "Dad!"
     The food appears in front of us, and I'm a bit shocked by what he ordered.

     "Dad. What is this?" The dish he ordered both me and Braydon is rumored to be an aphrodisiac. That, plus the red wine. I can't believe Dad's gall.
     I hear Braydon behind me. "Oh! I've heard of this dish! It's one of the chef's specialties. It's..." He clears his throat and shuts up for once.
     "What?" Dad asks with a not-so-innocent smile. "I thought you two could be my guinea pigs."

     I just have to survive this. At the end of it, I can politely turn him down and then chew out my father. I must not make a scene here in the restaurant.


     Dad's phone beeps.
     "Oh. It's Brielle. I need to go." Oh no. He looks up at us. "I'll pay the bill on the way out. Don't you two rush out of here on my account." He stands up, quickly kisses me on the top of my head, and leaves.
     I don't say a word and hurriedly finish my food. A waiter comes and takes away our empty plates, and I turn to Braydon for the first time since Dad left.

     "Emily, I know this is going to feel out of the blue, but I didn't come to just have lunch with your father."
     Oh yeah? I did. "I need to go. It was great seeing you again, Braydon." Please, let's avoid more awkwardness!


     He scrambles out of his chair. "Wait, please!"
     "Listen, Braydon..." How do I do this?!
     "Do you think we could have dinner--just the two of us? Sometime?" He looks so hopeful.
     "No. You don't understand. I'm sorry if my dad made you think-"
     "He didn't have to. I thought it all on my own."
     "You already knew I had a boyfriend?" I start getting mad until I see his surprised expression.
     "Uh... No, actually. I didn't. You're still with Drake? That guy's a jerk, Emily. When are you going to see that?"
     "I did see that, do see that. No, I'm not with Drake anymore. I'm with..." I pause. For the first time ever, I worry about someone negatively judging me for choosing to date someone old enough to be my father.

      He sees my worry and takes my hands. I don't think it's a strong come-on, merely like a tender gesture. At least, that's how I'm choosing to interpret it.
      "Well, it apparently isn't one you're comfortable discussing. That should tell you something."
      I blurt out, "It's Drake's father, Alex."
      He looks confused. "Who is?"
      "My boyfriend. I'm dating Alexander Goth." My face turns tomato red.
      Shocked, he asks, "What?! He's got to be at least forty-five!"

     I jerk my hands out of his grasp. "I don't care! You think I don't know that? I love him! I've been trying all afternoon to figure out how to tell you this nicely, but I see that's not going to be possible."
     He holds up his hands. "Okay! I'm sorry. It's just your dad, well, he made it sound like you were single."
     My anger evaporates. "I know. I'm sorry. I guess I could've sneaked in some reference to give you a clue, but I couldn't figure out how."

     He takes my hands back. "It's okay. But just so you know: If anything ever happens and you do find yourself single, look me up, and I'll drop everything just for a chance." He kisses my hands!
     While I stand here like a gaping fish, he winks at me, walks past me, and exits the restaurant.
     I put my hand on my forehead to do the same thing. Chewing Dad out will have to wait. Right now, I just want to get home.

Click here to go to 2.66

2 comments:

  1. Oh bother. This was a bit painful to read because this entire time I expected Alex to waltz into the restaurant and get the wrong idea. I'm really glad nothing happened. Up until this point I've always said that Graham is a great guy but now I'm so angry at him it's ridiculous. Being a protective father is one thing, but setting up a date knowing that Em is an adult and can make decisions on her own? That's just being a douchebag. If Alex had set up a date for Brielle back when he was sabotaging Graham, he would've ended up beaten up in a dumpster. This was just a mess. Poor Emily, I can imagine how uncomfortable that must've felt. Especially with Graham sitting right in front of her with that smug smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham crossed the line, that's for sure. This just proves how desperately he wants to convince Emily that there are more fish in the sea besides Goths. Sorry about worrying the entire time that Alex was going to walk in and get the wrong idea. If he had, I will say he'd sooner blame Graham before he'd blame Emily. He and Graham have so much bad blood between them.

      I figured this would make people mad at Graham, but I needed to show how he's really wanting to push Emily to choose someone else. His methods, however, aren't very smart. Desperation breeds insanity sometimes. He realizes, in the background, that it would've been better if he'd just let Drake come over instead of having Emily go to the Goth house to tutor him. That set things in motion.

      Delete