Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Chain Reaction 2.62: Rogue




Ethan

     Claire has been so wonderful with the kids. She's worked from home or just taken days off when she can, letting me continue my work. I don't know how she does it. Sure, Seema helps when neither of us can take off, but the bigger share of the two of us goes to Claire hands down.
     "You're wonderful," I tell her when I catch her in the hallway.

     I can still make my wife blush.
     "Wow, Ethan. Where did that come from?" She gives me a suddenly suspicious yet playful look. "Are you trying to sweet talk me into something?" She blushes more, and I think I know what she's thinking.
     "Not especially. I just think you're wonderful." I smile when she blushes even more if that's possible. My wife thinks I'm hot. I love that.

     No question: I have to hold my Claire.
     "Ew, Ethan! You're all sweaty!" She laughs as she says it, and I just rub myself against her even more in a goofy way. She laughs louder. "You need a shower!"
     "I need you." I kiss her neck.
     "Only if you take a shower first."
     Oooh! That wasn't really what I meant. I meant I need her in my life. Of course, I'm not going to argue. We so rarely get a moment with just each other. "I'm going to take a fast shower." I get an idea. "On second thought, you're all sweaty too now, so I guess you have to come with me." I pull her into the bathroom.
      Her laughter changes to moans as I make achingly-slow woohoo to my wife against the shower wall.

     I get to work the next day, and the chief tells me I'm back to square one on the Jules Parikh case. We can't use anything Ms. Parikh would tell us due to her mental state. It doesn't surprise me, but I have to consider the neighbors' witness report, saying she was the last one with him before he vanished.
     We go in and search the house...again. By now, a dead body would be stinking the place up, but the house just smells like mothballs. A K-9 unit accompanies us just to be sure. We find nothing new.
      I talk to the chief about visiting MorcuCorp Industries, and he advises me to be careful.


      I feel like I'm on an official tour, not being shown around like a police officer should. I don't get to see behind every door, and that pisses me off. But without an official warrant, I can't do anything. And getting a search and seizure warrant for MorcuCorp would be next to impossible. They control too much.
     However, I do notice an area with very little surveillance. There's only a solitary security guard on duty, and that causes me to make a decision.
     I'm going rogue; I'm not going to tell the chief my plans to investigate tonight.

     I can see why this place doesn't have much surveillance. There's not much here! I can't find a single door, and it's starting to feel like a maze. How do they get into and out of these buildings? There are dozens of them, all stand-alone, with no doors or windows!
     Feeling like a secret agent, I walk up to one of the air vents, hoping I can get it loose. Just as I pull out my multi-tool, I hear a voice behind me.


     "Drop what's in your hand and put your hands over your head!"

Click here to go to 2.63

2 comments:

  1. Somehow I kinda knew that Ethan's plan wouldn't work. And now he got himself caught. Great. That DEFINITELY will NOT have any effect on his work performance, that would be crazy(¬_¬)
    He even said it himself, they control a lot of stuff. I get it that he wants to find some dirt on these people, but he's risking way too much. If he gets fired, all of his work will be for naught and the Landgraabs will win. I don't even want to mention the fact that this kind of behaviour could get him killed. That man could very well be an assassin send by the Landgraabs. His bravery could be lethal.
    But him dying right after a cute moment with his wife seems a bit cliche. I doubt you'd do that, especially since even aging up Graham seemed hard for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, darn it! You found me out. The cute moment gave it away.
      hehe. They were just acting cute and I caught it.

      Yeah, his career right now is pretty much f---ked. I mean really, a policeman getting caught trespassing? Not cool, dude. He's getting desperate and could really use some good advice... Oh, Malcolm would dance in the rain if Ethan got fired.
      I will say that that was just the security guard, although that is a legitimate concern.

      Delete