Alex
I have a birthday. Notice that I didn't say I have a birthday party. No. I get Masami to make me a cake, and I blow out the candles on my own. I'd rather do it on my own than listen to Drake and his snide comments about his 'old man.'
As usual, life doesn't slow down for me. Laura gets engaged. My heart shatters. You think I'd be used to this by now.
I hack in and screw around with Kenneth's personnel files. It's a small thing, but it can have bigger consequences in the long run. Plus, it's far enough under the radar that no one will suspect anything. His HR department will give him headaches for months.
I run the top internet security company in the world, but it takes hackers to stop hackers. And frankly, I'm the best. I guess I have to be best at something.
My phone beeps. Text.
Brielle. I snort. Plum off, Brielle. Still, I don't want to be outright rude, so I send her a quick thanks. If she texts me back, I won't respond.
She doesn't.
I'm so aggravated at everything! I turn my head and look over at Masami. She's reading. The plate from yesterday's lunch sits on the floor. She's been sitting there for about 24 hours doing nothing but reading.
I get her attention, and she stands up.
"ARE YOU EVER GOING TO DO ANYTHING BESIDES READ? THAT PLATE HAS BEEN SITTING THERE FOR AGES!"
She looks at me in fright and immediately starts apologizing. I feel like crud.
"No, I'm sorry, Masami. I..."
"No, Mr. Goth. It's me. You're right. I'll do better."
Great. Now my own servant is afraid of me. I can't win.
I decide I need a personal assistant. That way, Masami can keep to her butler jobs and the PA can do the other, random things I need. I take a look at some resumes and call my top pick. I'm curious to see if her references are writing the truth or if it's all a load of puffed-up bull.
When she shows up, I'm immediately unimpressed by her attire. She looks like she's ready to go camping...not go to a job interview. How could someone with such glowing recommendations have so little concern over her physical appearance? I almost tell her to take a hike (pun intended), but at the same time, I'm curious.
"Miss Aguilar?"
"Yes, that's me."
She's young. How could she have so much experience already at her age? "Your resume states that you've worked for XYZ for three years."
"Yes, sir."
"And before that, it shows that you worked for Carson & Carson as a receptionist for a year."
"That's right."
"What did you do in between?" There was a nine-month period on her resume in which she doesn't show employment.
"I... Um... I worked for... Burger Palace." She looks mortified, but she holds her ground nonetheless.
Ah. "Well, that explains why it wasn't on your resume."
"I needed a job, and that was one I could get fast. I only stayed so long because they started training me for management. However, two weeks of being a shift manager told me fast food was not the place for me, so I started looking for another job."
"So, if I train you to be my PA, does that mean you're going to leave if you decide it's not the place for you?"
She gives me a no-nonsense stare. "I won't lie to you and say that I want to be a PA forever, but being Alexander Goth's PA is one hell of a place to start."
Her candor makes me laugh.
"And to be honest, I think it'll be much more interesting than being a receptionist."
"When could I start?" she asks eagerly. A pretty smile graces her features.
"I haven't said you have the job yet," I reply, feeling cocky. "For one, your attire is deplorable. Surely, you didn't dress like that working as a receptionist at a law firm. For another, it might have actually helped you to put Burger Palace on your resume, especially since you rose through the ranks so quickly."
"I'm sorry. We dress like this at XYZ. I thought that since you ran your office from your home that I should dress more...homey. Plus, I wanted to give the impression that I knew I wasn't expected to stay in one place but being sent back and forth from the office--so dress comfortably."
"I always dress professionally. I always have. It's amazing how the right clothing can cause a person to appear more distinguished. Actually, quite a bit of your work will be here. Although, if you're sent into the office, you need to look professional."
"Duly noted. I apologize."
"Can you start on Monday?" I surprise her; her mouth drops. My eyebrows raise as I wait for her answer.
"Yes, sir! And I assure you I'll dress properly."
I have a sudden vision of how I'd love to have her run around in my house in lingerie, and I have to close my eyes at the surprise that I'd go there. "See you then," I say and force a smile.
Don't be crazy, Alex.
A few hours later, I get a knock at the door. Since I'm on my way to the kitchen anyway, I answer it. Emily comes bursting in.
"Have you seen Drake?" she asks in a rush, looking like she's about to fall apart.
"He's camping this weekend with his mom." And Kenneth. "Didn't he tell you?"
"Oh! Oh, I forgot." She doesn't look good.
"Emily? Is everything okay?" I watch as her lower lip trembles.
She collapses into her hands, crying. Crap.
"I'm fine!" Her voice is muffled.
"Appearances prove otherwise. Tell me what happened."
"I don't want to upset you." She sniffs.
"Well, you're upsetting me right now seeing you crying like that," I reason with her.
"Mom had the baby. It's a girl. I know you don't like talking about my mom." She picks her head up and wipes her cheeks.
"Contrary to what Drake thinks, and no offense to you, but I don't give a plum about your mother anymore, Emily. I haven't for a while. The last nail in that coffin was Laura walking out on me."
"Oh," she says in a small voice.
"So you have a new sister. Tell me why this has upset you so badly." I want to get back on topic.
"It's nothing," she lies.
"Hell no it's not 'nothing.' 'Nothing' doesn't make you cry like that. Now, I know I'm not Drake, but you used to be able to talk to me about anything." I hope I'm not being pretentious or anything like that.
She clears her throat. "The, um, the last time I talked to you about... stuff... you wound up getting a divorce."
I give her a strange look. "Emily, please tell me you don't blame yourself for my divorce."
"Well, I set things in motion when I told you about Mom wanting a baby."
"Maybe, but you had no control over the things that happened next. Is that what you've been thinking?"
"A bit, yes. Everything bad that's happened has everything to do with my baby sister."
"Now, that can't be true." I take her hand. "C'mon. We're sims in Sims 4. Let's sit and talk about this."
"I am so mad at my dad right now," she says.
"Ohhhh! Well, he's never been my favorite person, even if it's all water under the bridge."
"That's just it! He's still obsessing over it, and when I heard him talking to Bella earlier, I couldn't believe he'd say that stuff."
"Talking to whom?" Did I hear her right?
"He'd just changed her."
"I mean what did they name her?"
"Isabella, but they sometimes call her Bella for short."
I cover my mouth to hide my smile. However, I can't hide the laugh that springs forth. I try to make it stop, but I can't. It's just too plumbing funny! I can sense Emily looking at me strangely, but I'm unable to explain it to her right now for the eruptions of laughter spewing from my entire frame.
"Are you okay? Do I get to hear what's so funny?" She sounds almost annoyed.
"I'm trying -- hahahaha -- to tell -- hahahahahaha -- you. I can't believe they did that!" Tears escape the corners of my eyes from laughing so hard.
Finally, I can speak. "Bella was...well is...my mother's name."
It sinks in. "Did they forget?"
"Probably not. I'm sure it's unintentional, given that her name is Isabella, but the irony will never be lost on me." I smirk. Then, I remember what we were talking about. "So, he was saying something to...Bella?" It's just too plumbing good that they named the child Bella.
Her face falls again. "He said... H-he said..."
"Emily?"
"He said, 'At least you won't end up dating a Goth.'" She covers her face again. "I hate how he hates you and Drake. I thought he'd been okay with Drake and me dating, but apparently not."
"Were you in the room with him when he said that?" I could punch him in the face right now. Maybe I need to start working out again so that I could stand a chance.
"No. I was in the hallway and heard it."
We continue to talk about it, and I do everything possible to try and find a different reason he'd say that, but the truth hits hard. I can't believe Graham would think that way from one daughter to the next. I have to agree with Emily that that heavily implies that he sees Bella as a second chance at another 'Emily.'
The hours tick by, and I worry why Graham hasn't tried to call. It's really late. Then, I find out Emily turned off her phone and stashed it somewhere so that her dad couldn't track her. I find it curious that she would know that he could do that, but I don't ask.
"I don't want to go home."
"You should."
"Can I stay at least until this movie is over?"
"It just started."
"Yeah."
I sigh. "Okay." Graham would kill me, but right now, I'm about ready to return the favor.
A few times during the movie, I catch Emily wiping a tear or two from her face. Graham is probably worried sick, and I half-consider calling him. But--let's face it. I hate him. Just because I'm no longer in love with his wife doesn't mean I stopped hating him.
Emily falls asleep, her head lolling along the back of the couch. It slides and lands on my shoulder. I feel so bad for her and the painful snubbing of the father she loves, so I wrap my arm around her shoulders and let her keep sleeping.
The movie ends, and I try to wake her up. It's around three in the morning, and I'm tired.
"Emily, wake up." I help her try to sit up.
I don't know how it happened. I don't know what I was thinking. Most likely, I wasn't. It was a reflex. Surely, it was just a reflex. It's the plumbing middle of the night! I'm not thinking!
She opens one eye and smirks at me. "Did you just kiss me?"
"On the forehead," I answer, probably too quickly. Yeah. Like a family member kind of kiss. That's all. It didn't mean anything. "You need to go. You need to call your father. I'm sure he's worried sick." I push her away.
"Okay. Goodnight, Alex." She kisses my cheek and gets up.
Plum!
After she gets on the elevator, I quickly walk out onto my balcony to make sure she gets into her car okay, all the while thinking about my stupid mistake. I still can't believe I did that.
Click here to go to 2.39
Click here to go to 2.39





















The new PA is cute.
ReplyDeleteOkay so much wrong here. Drake is just like his father. Alex shouldn't be meddling with Kenneth's records just like he shouldn't have messed with Graham's. He (just like his son) take no responsibility for anything. Instead they both act like bratty children throwing tantrums.
Again, with Emily venting about what Graham said, Alex is up on his high horse like Graham doesn't have a legit reason to hate the Goths and his daughter being tangled up with one. Just once I'd like Graham to go off since everyone wants to dump on him like he's the bad guy. Honestly Graham is becoming the only one that I like. LOL Well him and Ethan.
That ending though...um playing with fire much Alex. Not good, not good at all.
Glad you think so. She'll be around for a little while. :)
DeleteDon't know what you mean by Drake is just like his father as far as this chapter goes, but it's true. Of course he shouldn't! Does that mean he's not going to? Nope.
Poor Graham. He tries to be the nice guy and only gets kicked in the teeth for it each time. He needs someone in his corner, so I'm glad you are. His story isn't finished, so hang in there.
Ethan has a bigger role in the story too coming up. It's chapter-wise mixed in with the Emily chapters as I make a grand attempt at staying in order chronologically. I'm really, really, REALLY liking Ethan's job. It practically writes the Ethan plot for me...as long as I can find ways to make connections.
Yeah. Not his brightest move.
I meant the way Drake went around digging up dirt on Graham and Bri out of anger. Alex did the same to Graham and now he's messing around with Kenneth's stuff. So the hacking/digging dirt aspect when they are pissed off. As much as Drake gives his father hell, that apple didn't fall too from from the tree.
DeleteYou know, I know when you're talking about now. You're the first one to say anything about it. Not saying you're the only one that caught on that he'd done that, but you're the only one to remember to say something. I'd almost forgotten, even if it comes up again later...and then later...that I'd put that in that chapter.
DeleteDrake wouldn't appreciate being compared to his father, but you're right. >:) ALEX sees that Drake is very much like him, and it's one of the reasons he puts up with his crap.