Edward has called me every day around lunchtime. When he can, he comes over in the evening. Bonnie has officially moved back in with Mom and Dad, so I really welcome his company. I've discovered, don't know why it took me this long, that Edward is happiest when he thinks he's helping in some way. I've started to come up with random things for him to do, things I could've possibly lived without but things that do help nonetheless. For example, one thing he's done is get my garden organized in neat little rows.
I've thought about asking Edward to become my replacement plus one, but I can't bear the thought of making him become a busker. Besides, there can't be any romance with the 'plus one's, and well... I don't want to cross that out as a possible future.
"And what did the city council say?" I ask him. He's already trying to propose 'new-fangled' ideas to cut back on the city's water usage.
"Bunch of old coots," he says in an irritated fashion. "They wouldn't know a good idea if it suddenly crawled up their-... uh, back."
I lightly giggle at his quick save.
"Well, sometimes it takes a little more persistence to get a stick out of the mud. They've gotten comfortable living the way they have, and to change something is to go into dangerous, uncharted territory. Your ideas are good ones; you just have to give them some time to mull over them," I say, hoping I'm at least making sense.
"Sticks in the mud is an accurate analogy with those fellas. They couldn't care less that it would save the town money in the long run. Yes, they'd have to raise taxes, but people would be spending less on their water bill. It evens out." I hear a chair creak, and I imagine him leaning back as he sits at his desk.
"Ever thought of putting something about this in your next speech?" He probably has. "I mean, not being negative about the fellas on the council but explaining your ideas to people, highlighting the positive aspects." I hope I don't sound impertinent.
"Why didn't I think of that? That would at least plant the idea in other people's heads, and they could help put the pressure on." He sighs happily. "That's one of the reasons I love talking to you about stuff, Ana. You have a different outlook than the rest of the yokels in this town."
"And you want to lead those yokels," I remind him with a smile.
I can hear the return smile in his voice as he says, "Well, someone has to point them in the right direction to stop them from being yokels. But I want to know how you're feeling today."
"Well, I'm still pregnant," I reply in humor as dry as the Gobi Desert. "My back has started hurting. I can't bend down like I used to in order to weed the plants."
"Why don't you save weeding the plants for me?" he asks, almost like he's scolding me.
"Because it's not that bad! I'm not feeble and decrepit; I'm just a host for this alien creature inside me." I'd better cool it. He doesn't like it when my 'humor' starts down the nasty side of sarcasm, especially when I'm attacking myself. I take a breath. "It's fine, Edward. I promise I'll let you know if it gets to be too much."
"Okay," he relents, declaring a temporary truce. "Oh, and I meant to ask you this yesterday. Have you heard anything out of Luke? I haven't heard you mention him in a while."
"No, but it's okay. It's not like I want to marry him. That would be a disaster. We're better as friends."
"Not very friendly of him to disappear like this," Edward says, a slight growl in his voice.
"He'll show back up after the baby's born. He's not a complete jerk."
"I will reserve judgment on that remark until a later date," he says stiffly.
"Why are you asking about him anyway?" I ask.
After a quick sigh, he replies, "Because I want you to have what's best for you, even if it's hard for me to take. I guess call me old-fashioned in thinking a child needs both parents."
"Okay. You're old-fashioned," I state, get quiet for a few seconds, and then giggle. I imagine him slowly grinning as he finally realizes I'm teasing him.
"In all seriousness, Ana, I..." He sighs again. "Well, I'll see you this evening."
"Okay," I reply and hang up.
I stand here and look at my phone. I often get the feeling he's wanting to tell me how he feels, but it's like it's a taboo subject. Does he think I don't notice? Does he think I won't return the feelings? I'm not ever going to throw myself at a man after what happened with Joseph, but I might have to with Edward if he doesn't do something himself. Although, maybe I should wait until I'm not fatter than the cow.
It's the fact that I'm carrying Luke's baby. That kills him, yet he still comes around.
The time has come, in game time, for me to throw another party. I decide it would probably be better to do this before the baby's born instead of after.
Dad greets the baby first and then me. As he hugs me, I wonder to myself if anyone will even show up to this shindig of mine. Or...will they come in droves to gawk at the unwed pregnant woman?
One person that does come, shocking me: Joseph. When he arrives, he's still a teen. The Maker ages him up.
Luke also comes! He walks up and hugs me, carrying a present. He bought me a swing.
"It's pink," I state.
He chuckles. "Well...what are you saying? Boys can't wear pink? A boy can't enjoy a pink swing as much as a girl? Besides, all the baby clothes are for girls. They even dress boys in girl clothes!" He laughs harder, tickled at yet another old-fashioned thing about this town.
I've missed his grin.
"You!" I hear from where I stand. I'd been showing Mom the cow.
I can't hear what else Edward says to Luke, but from both their body languages, I'm guessing it's not pleasant. Luke backs up and looks totally on the defensive while Edward looks like he could happily rip him limb from limb. Something Luke says must calm Edward down because he immediately straightens up, fixes his jacket, and says something else in a straight-faced way. Then, his eyes meet mine. I don't know what to say or do or even think about what I just saw.
Edward breaks eye contact and then moves to talk to Dad.
I get some key lime pie Mom brought, but I can't finish it. My appetite has been so strange today.
"Hi," I tell Edward when he comes to stand next to me. I'd wanted to rest a minute, and I pulled out a book.
"Hi," he replies simply.
We both sit here and read until I have a sensation like a mac truck has barreled into me from behind.
Everyone around me does the freak out dance. Oh look, Lincoln came to the party too.
I'm in labor.
Edward calls me a taxi and practically shoves me into it. I protest about wasted fuel, but he ignores me, saying he needs to go tell Luke.
"But..." I don't finish. I want Edward there, not Luke, but then I think how that would look to everyone.
Edward must've shoved Luke into a taxi too because he shows up.
I start crying. I know why Edward shoved Luke into a taxi: so that this moment could happen. Edward is truly the most selfless person I've ever known.
Even though I'm happy Luke came, I can't control my pessimistic attitude. He gets in the taxi with me, and I say, "You didn't have to come."
He takes in and lets out a breath. Then, he turns to look back at me and say, "Yes, I did." He reaches over and squeezes my hand before letting go.
He talks again once the taxi pulls out of the hospital parking lot. "Anastasia, I know I said I couldn't have a child in my life, but I was wrong. I was afraid, and I'm sorry I bailed on you."
"It's okay," I say quietly. Please, don't let this mean you want to rekindle our relationship, such as it was.
"No, it's not, but thank you for pretending it is," he mildly argues.
Looking straight ahead, he continues, "I want to be there for her. Is that okay? I'll still send money, but I want to be part of her life." He looks over at me in a pained way, probably worried that I'll hope he wants to rekindle our relationship. He doesn't want to. He said he wants to be part of Wren's life, not mine.
Still hormonal, I start crying. My voice sounds choked up when I say, "Of course you can. Come by any time, day or night."
"Thank you," he whispers and leans forward to kiss my cheek. It's not a romantic kiss, but a simple, friendly peck.
Click here to go to 3.10

















I like the name she picked. Congrats on baby Wren.
ReplyDeleteLol Edward laying into Luke, good for him. Still dislike him for how he just thought he could walk away from his responsibility. Edward is turning out to be a pretty decent fella. ;)
Wren wasn't the original name I gave her. I think it was Gwen, but then I saw her in CAS and decided, like Luke did, that Wren would be a perfect name for her. Not too big of a change, and I like Wren better anyway. :)
DeleteYes! Edward wanted to shake him; he was that mad. Then, he finds out that Luke is there just for what he ordered him to do, and that's why he straightened up. (Figured you could guess that)
LOL! Are you going native?