Edward has his lawyers draw up papers for me to purchase the property from him. Not arguing over the asking price, I make a substantial down payment, and I'll continue to make payments to him. I should have it paid off in a few years, depending on how well my garden does.
I hardly see him anymore. Per his written request, I send my rent payments via check through the mail. When I do see him, he's polite, but something has changed. I can't figure it out, and I'm too nervous to ask and find out. It obviously has something to do with me buying the property from him instead of renting. Did I insult him by doing that? How could that have been an insult? I guess this further proves I don't understand the lifestyle of people in this town. One thing I have learned, however, is to never throw myself at a guy. Still, his change hurts.
One day several months later, during one of my few trips to the grocery store, I run across Luke Braswell. I haven't seen him in ages, and he reminds me of that fact when we get to talking. He insists upon taking me to lunch, and we go to the nearby diner situated on the first floor of an apartment building. I find out he's also frustrated by how the people in this town operate. We agree they need to put out a social manual so that new residents can understand the long list of old-fashioned 'rules' in place.
We sit in the diner for hours just chatting, and I feel so relaxed being around someone who doesn't make me worry that I might do or say the wrong thing, breaking some unknown 'rule.'
After that, we see each other frequently, dating. I love his eyes and goofy grin.
I'm out one day looking for seeds when I hear a chuckling off to my left. "Anastasia!" Luke calls out, and I have to smile when I see what he's wearing.
"Well, look at you! Have you gone native?" I giggle.
He laughs sheepishly and looks down at himself like he also needs reminding. "Yeah. This is for work. I need to look the part, I guess."
"So, what brings you out here?" I ask, wondering. He's a P.I. We've had plenty of moments when we'd sit and laugh over everyone calling him a 'dick' and it being a good thing.
"I had a tip-off, and actually..." He stops to think, watching me.
"What?" I have to ask to get him to explain himself.
"Well, I was just going to hide in the bushes and pray no one sees through my cover, but perhaps they wouldn't care if they should happen to spot a couple out for a lovers' tryst?" The corners of his mouth raise at my blush when I realize what he means. "Help a fella out?" he questions.
I laugh nervously, from what he said and him using the word 'fella' so comfortably. I guess he does spend much more time in town, and people tend to start speaking like those around them after a while as a kind of instinctual way to to blend in.
It's not like Luke and I haven't made out before, but knowing people will probably notice us yet pretend they don't makes me nervous. Or, is it excitement? I'd be helping Luke with his work in a rather... nice way. He's a much better kisser than Joseph could ever hope to be.
"It's okay, Anastasia. It was just a thought," he says sweetly.
I smile through my deepened blush as I say, "No, no. That actually sounds like fun."
He smiles with boyish charm, takes my hand, and pulls me off towards a little gathering of bushes.
The sun starts setting, and Luke doesn't waste time, gently pushing me to the ground, catching me before I can land hard. It's not long before I hear a car stop on the road. We're plenty far enough off the road not to be seen, and this far out in the woods, the noises of the city don't carry.
Luke gently strokes my face as a silent reminder to stay quiet. I can tell his focus has shifted from me to what's going on about twenty yards away. I hear two men talking about the delivery of a package down by the docks tomorrow night at ten. Peeping up at Luke, I see him watching them under the brim of his hat, making is so that if they glanced this way, he'd easily be able to make it look like all we were doing was making out.
The two men get quiet, and Luke starts kissing me in earnest, moaning as he does. We've been spotted! I think, my heart racing. That's the only reason he'd make a noise. His hand on the back of my head pushes me to him, encouraging me to react. I'm so scared that the only sound I make is a little whimpering noise as Luke shifts his weight completely on top of me. I can't help but wonder if it's also his way of protecting me with his own body should the bullets start flying. Luke!
We must be pretty convincing because the next sound we hear is car doors slamming and then the vehicles driving away.
Luke breaks from the kiss, and I gasp for the air my pounding heart demands.
"You're fine," he croons and sweetly kisses me before pulling back up to let me keep panting. "You did great, actually." He leans down and runs his lips along my throat, and I know he can probably feel my rapid pulse. "You did," he takes a breath, "an incredible job."
They could've killed us! If they'd suspected us of spying on them and knew we knew what they said...! I reach up and pull Luke's face down to me, kissing him like I'm just happy to be alive, which I am. Luke moans and violently kisses me back, joining in the life-and-death thrill of the moment. This is why he loves his job. And to think, he does this sort of thing all the time! I cling to him when I think of all the danger he routinely places himself into.
We get steadily crazier, begging, pleading, demanding to take as much from the other one as the other one is willing to give. I've always read how people say that they don't know where they stop and the other person begins, but I'd never realized how true that was until now.
I cry out when Luke suddenly takes this beyond making out. I don't know how he managed it, just pushing our clothing aside, but he has. We go from making out to making love, our crazy moment bringing us here. My pain doesn't last long before I'm once again begging for more, and wow, does he ever give it to me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don't kill me or Ana! It was supposed to be Luke all along, but then Edward stopped being annoying and wanted a bigger slice of the story's pie. I adapted things to fit him into it; I adapted quite a lot, actually.
Edward is off somewhere between stumped and pouting. Okay, well, I say 'pouting' and mentally see him scowling at me, but he's pretty darn close to it. Being Ana's landlord was his perfect excuse to go and see her, and Ana took that from him, not that he'd ever deny her wish to buy the place. Herein lies the 'stumped' bit. Why can't he just visit because he wants to visit, you ask? Because he's Edward. That, and he's off making a mortal enemy of his mother. (no idea why there-sim thing) Oh, and that would blow apart my swiss cheese storyline. "Uncomplicated" after all. Bah.
So yeah, Ana and Luke have a thing going. I'm using it.
Click here to go to 3.7









:)
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading!
DeleteSo...yeah...okay then. She was worried about her reputation and she loses her virginity behind a bush. Alrighty then. And seriously Luke, you couldn't stop yourself? She didn't even know it was coming, you didn't talk to her about it, just went and did it.
ReplyDeleteYup. They both lost their minds. Stupid, dumb-eff mistake. I knew you'd get pissed about this. Well, maybe not quite pissed as upset some.
DeleteIf I don't watch it, this story could become work. :/