Monday, July 31, 2017

Chain Reaction 2.84: Goddess




Drake

     Donovan Franco is a very smart man. And resourceful. And powerful. Basically, he's everything I want to be. And he likes me.
     He did me a favor. He had someone on the inside slip Jett McKinney a drug that induced a heart attack. The McKinneys are no longer a problem, and no one will miss them.
     Mr. Franco is brilliant, but his niece is a complete and utter disappointment. She failed me. Emily is supposed to hate Dad right now. Violet was supposed to seduce Dad. It was going to be sweeter since it would happen right in front of Emily's face. Then, Emily was supposed to dash out of there, upset. That part of the plan worked. She left--alone. Logan abducted her right on schedule. I was supposed to come and rescue her, making it look like I beat up her McKinney relatives. She was supposed to be eternally grateful to me, seeing me for the good guy that I am. She would leave Dad and be mine again.
     But that didn't happen. I didn't count on the three of them working together. How the plum could I ever guess that would happen? Now, Dad is the hero. Emily was happy to see him, forgiving him somehow. It has to be that Violet's performance wasn't convincing enough.

     I think Dad is on to me. I have never seen a woman more guarded than Emily. It's been impossible for me to find a moment to slip in unnoticed so that I could speak with her. This is another way my plan has backfired--Emily is under higher security. I wonder to myself if she even realizes it.
     It's just crazy that she's going to marry my father! How can she not see how crazy this is?!

     Mr. Franco was invited to the wedding.

     "Drake!" Dad looks shocked. No big surprise there. He didn't invite his son to his wedding.
     I came with Mr. Franco. As we rode in the backseat of his Cadillac on the way here, he advised me not to do anything out of anger. He's teaching me, or trying to, to see how things would look in the long run.
     Honestly, I don't see how punching out my father would be bad in the long run. He stole my girl. In every civilization that has ever existed, that's grounds for getting punched in the face, right?
     "I'm Mr. Franco's plus-one," I say with gritted teeth.
     Mr. Franco speaks up. "I'm sure it was just an oversight that you forgot to send an invitation to your son, right, Alex? I thought I'd remedy that." He sounds so smooth, like he's doing Dad a favor.
     Mr. Franco is more of a father to me than Dad has ever been.

     "I appreciate your concern, Mr. Franco," he says. Even Dad calls him Mr. Franco. "But perhaps you don't understand the situation. It's unusual for the bride's ex to attend the wedding."
     Dad is so stupid. He turned down an offer to work for Mr. Franco. I'm not so dumb. In a few years, I'm going to merge Kenneth's company with Mr. Franco's. He doesn't have a son, and I wonder if he also views Violet as a disappointment. When he retires, I will be every bit as powerful as I've always wanted to be.
     "Oh, I'm sure we can all be mature adults today, isn't that right, Drake?" He puts his hand on my shoulder in a gesture of camaraderie.
     I smile. "Of course." Inwardly, I seethe. Marriage is just a piece of paper, Dad. Like it did with you and Mom, this one can end too. And I'll be there for her when it does. Still, today stings horribly. I can't stand being near that man, so I decide to go mingle, surprised to see my grandmother here.

     Of course, my mingling brings me to her. She's stashed herself on the other side of a building, hidden from view. She smiles as she looks through a window, watching some kids play with toys inside.
     And she's so beautiful I want to cry.
     "Hello, Emily." I haven't spoken to her in ages. This feels very like a dream.

     "Drake." Her eyes widen. "What are you doing here?" Always direct. That's my Emily. Is she looking at me in fear? No! Emily, my darling, why do you look afraid of me?
     "You think I'd miss your wedding?" I try to smile, but honestly, I need to go cry somewhere. This can't be happening! Then, I need a punching bag. Dad's face will do.
      "Yeah. I did." She's barely moving, staring at me like a rabbit trapped in a wolf's stare. This is awful. It has to be that Dad has poisoned her against me. There is so much damage I'm going to have to undo. This must be what Mr. Franco means by telling me to behave myself. If I go and punch Dad, that's only ammo he can use against me later. I'm so grateful to Mr. Franco.
     I smile, feeling a little more in control of myself. "Not a chance." I let myself look her up and down, and I desperately want to hold her face in my hands. "You look breathtaking." She's mine, Dad! You can't have her! She'll always be mine, no matter what you do!
     "Why are you here, Drake? Please don't ruin this." Again, she barely moves.

     I hate how my voice betrays that I see her as a frightened rabbit. "Of course I won't. I just had to come find you, to talk to you." She doesn't reply, merely watching me warily. "Emily, I must ask you if you're sure about this."
     "Yes," she practically snaps. "I love him."
     Ow. "You once said that about me."
     "I didn't know what I was talking about at the time."
     Oh, ow ow ow. "How can you say that?" Crap. My facade is cracking. I can't help it! She's so damn beautiful it hurts!

     Years from now, I'm going to regret that I'm not just grabbing her and carrying her off somewhere.
     "I can say that because I never loved you. How could I possibly love someone who enjoys so much being cruel?"
      No. "When was I ever cruel to you?" No, you've always been my goddess.
      "I'm referring to how you treated Alex."
      I open my mouth in shock. "You know why I hate him!" Now more than ever. "I'm sorry but my relationship with my father is and probably always will be in bad shape. I can't go around pretending like I like him." Here goes. So sue me. "But not you, Emily. Never you. I am eternally sorry for speaking to you the way I did the night we broke up. Can't you see how this is ripping me apart? I love you yet you're going to marry my father?"

      Keep it together. Stay strong. Don't grab her and run off.
      This is insane! So I'm supposed to let her become my... my step-mother?!
      It doesn't get easier when I hear compassion in her voice. "I'm sorry, Drake."
      My breath escapes in a quick motion, making a very slight hissing noise, not angry but like letting off pressure. Plum! This isn't happening! Don't be 'sorry.' Be mine again! I thought I'd be able to do this, but seeing her was more than I bargained for.
      I still have to deliver my closing message, just so it can be said, but this is going to be extremely difficult. "I... I will always be here for you, Emily. I need you to know that." I desperately want to wrap my arms around her waist and just hold her to me. But I'm not allowed to do that anymore.
      "Thank you," she says simply.
      And that's that. This is where I walk away. I don't know if I can. I know most women make beautiful brides, but Emily has blown me away.
      Clenching my fists, I nod stiffly, and somehow I get my body to obey me by turning around and making my way to the wedding arch. Mr. Franco instructed me to attend the whole thing, so that's what I'm going to do.

      But I'm afraid it's going to kill me.

-----------------------------
Wow. I call that complicated.

2 comments:

  1. Never thought I'd feel bad for Drake. I guess this just goes to show that it's all about perspective. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He asked for it by not appreciating Emily when he had her, and he knows it. I'm a long ways from done with him.
      And that emoji is great. :)

      Delete