Saturday, April 2, 2016

Chain Reaction 1.51: Not Easy To Forget




     "Aren't we past that?" I ask my gorgeous secretary/assistant/girlfriend.
     She lets that giggle escape. "I thought I'd do that for fun, for old times' sake."
     I take a step closer to her. Her outfit is so low cut that my mouth starts watering. We still haven't gotten very far in our relationship, and I'm aching to explore the blonde bombshell in front of me. "I like it better being just Alex," I reply, smiling.

     I could eat her alive. A man would have to be a complete idiot to refuse this woman anything! And she wants me! I still have trouble believing it, but the way she kisses me back leaves me no doubt how much I turn her on. It's a heady feeling.
     My computer blips at me, indicating an extremely minor warning. More than likely someone got locked out because they forgot a password and tried too many times to log in. I hear that all the time. I'll eventually set it to where it doesn't make a noise at me, but I don't want to miss any hairline cracks while proving myself to this company.
     Laura reaches up to hold my face while she pulls back. "Shouldn't you check that?"
     I glance at the screen. I was right. "Done," I say quickly and get back to those lips.

     She tells me I'm good at this. I have no idea how; I've only ever kissed one other woman.
     My computer blips again, and I groan. I pull back, and she pants for air.

     She sounds a bit breathless when she says, "I took the liberty of looking at a few resumes, hoping I could weed out the useless ones."
     I kiss both her hands, my eyes frequently straying to her neckline that's so low it may as well be a waistline. "And what did you find?" I ask, my lips brushing her fingers as I talk.
     "Not a whole lot of impressive ones, since I know what you're looking for, but I did completely throw out about three. I'd hoped to lessen the hassle of reading most of them, but at the same time, I don't want to presume you would completely disregard someone. You might see potential where I don't."
     "It's fine," I tell her. I'd already looked over quite a few and made a list of about five I'd consider hiring.

     "Let's go out tonight," I suggest, dismissing the resumes for now.
     "Like where?" she asks.
     "I don't know. It doesn't matter," I reply. Anywhere outside my house. Anywhere I can get you to stop talking work.
     She looks down, and my pants come alive. "I know a place downtown that's not bad."
     "Then that sounds perfect," I tell her and smile, hoping I don't look too lovesick.
     I realize I do have to get some work done, and she goes downstairs to my living room to schmooze more potential clients. As I work, I also come across something about Brielle's father. He's been arrested again, this time on drug charges. The potential fine and sentence aren't enough in my opinion. For Cali's (Brielle's mom) sake, I 'alter' the sentence to a lower fine and the maximum jail time. I wonder how Brielle's little brother Logan is faring through all this. He'll be a young adult soon. Then he can get out of there.
      The rest of the day goes smoothly, and Laura tells me she'll meet me there after telling me where to go. She says she wants to go change. I try not to pout since I really like what she's wearing now, but then I think that I'd probably rather she wear something less revealing if we're going out.

     I get here a little early so she won't have to stand around alone. This is a decent section of town, but criminals have access to these places too should they feel brave enough.

     I see her walking up to me. Oh, I love to watch her walk, the way her hips sway gracefully back and forth.
     She gives me a sultry look and says, "Heya, handsome. Wanna party?" There's also a playfulness to the way she asks it.
     "You could never pass for a hooker," I tell her, knowing that's what her playacting meant.
     "Well, that's possibly the sweetest compliment I've ever received!" she exclaims, now definitely kidding around.

      I grab her around the waist and twist her just enough to dip her. Then, I tease, "Call girl possibly, but-"

     I don't get to finish. I get the message: she's done playing around. I am too, to be honest. That conversation could've gone south real fast.
     I am not an idiot. I realize what this may look like to others: goofy-looking rich man with stunning woman, she must be after his money. That, or the meaner ones might think she's actually a call girl. The last time we went out, I was very careful with how I treated her, keeping the lust out of my eyes. But the thing is... I am not really rich. My situation is improving, thanks greatly to the gorgeous woman in my arms, but it's not how I was accustomed to living while growing up. I wear simply-tailored, but to the trained eye expensive, clothing because I already had it/them in my possession. I still look the part.
     I realize Laura could be playing me for a fool, but I want to give her benefit of the doubt. That, and I really like holding her in my arms and kissing her. Maybe I'll get more than that tonight.

     We go inside and have a seat at the bar. The bartender gives Laura an appraising look.
     "Hey," he says, speaking only to her, "I've seen you in here before."
     Laura looks mildly confused and answers, "I've come here all of two times."
     "Oh, believe me, baby. You're not easy to forget," he smoothly answers and winks at her.
     I loudly clear my throat. He obviously isn't looking for a large tip. I order both of us a drink, making it very apparent we're together. He doesn't miss a beat, but I do notice him look back and forth between us before acquiring a knowing smirk. I can't help but wonder which of the possibilities his mind decided upon.
     Our last date, we covered the basic topics like our childhoods and things. Tonight, I have no idea what to talk about. Left open to options, Laura chooses to talk about the business. She's very ambitious, I've noticed.

     I let her keep talking, enjoying the excited gleam in her eyes when she considers different possibilities for the company. I'd really rather sit and talk about us...but perhaps without this bartender also listening to everything she says. If he doesn't watch it, I will ruin him out of spite alone. But, he's probably not worth the trouble. Laura acts like he doesn't exist except as an extension of the bar. She watches me watch her like we're the only two people in the room.
     "I mean, I don't know. What do you think? Those are both good options, and I really don't know. You're so smart. Which one should we choose? It's terrible we have to choose at all. Oh, but I know this is only the beginning. Perhaps I can keep them on the back burner. There! Just talking it out helps. Do you think that's a good idea?" She pauses.
     I laugh nervously and shrug. "If that's what you think we should do, sure."
     "Oh, Alex, it's your company after all."
     "Listen. I do my job in the office on the computers and stuff. The trick to being successful is getting the right people in the right places, so, yeah, just let me know what you're doing, and I'm sure whatever you pick is a good idea." I smile, and a woman that looks vaguely familiar comes and sits on Laura's other side.

     That woman speaks. "I guess I'm going to have to stop coming here if they're going to let women like you in here. Why couldn't you stay in the red-light district where you belong?"
     Laura's mouth drops, and I get instantly furious.

     "I don't know where you get off saying that to my girlfriend, a woman with a business degree. If I were you, I'd pay for my drink, get up, and leave. And for that matter, go look in a mirror if you're judging her. You're the one dressed like a slut!"
     She has her turn looking outraged. Laura actually smiles.
     "How dare you! Do you know who I am?" she tosses her head.
     "Do you know who I am? I don't give a plum who you are, but you need to leave. Hell, I'll pay for your drink just to make you leave faster!"
     "I never! In all my life, no one has spoken to me like that!" She puts a twenty on the bartop, grabs her jacket, and walks out with her nose in the air.
     Laura starts giggling.
     "Well, I'm glad you're happy," I say in a huffing way.

     "You just insulted Nancy Landgraab, wife of the richest man in town," Laura tells me.
     I shrug. "I was in the richest family in town back home. She needed taking down a peg or two." I plaster my smile on now. Crap. I know that surname. He was my best investor in Dad's company. And I just insulted his wife. She'd had her hair up at that function; I didn't recognize her. "Well, if she's going to insult you, she needed correcting."
     She stands up and pulls me out of my chair. "I think I love you, Alex."

     Whoa! I think when she arduously kisses me. That was... a little fast. My stomach sinks. Benefit of the doubt? It's gone. I don't believe her.
     Who is she? Is she with the S.I.M.S.? Is she merely the stereotype gold digger?

     "Who are you?" I ask, my bruised heart beginning to shatter.

Click here to go to chapter 52

2 comments:

  1. I found it amazing that coming from the family he has that Alex has such low self-esteem. Most guys in families like his, powerful and all, usually are just the opposite. You know cocky and such.

    Laura is pretty. I do wonder why that bartender acted that way and why that other woman assumed she was a hooker. What is she hiding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex has low self-esteem thanks to his nanny. That's only had an extremely vague reference. Kids at school also constantly picked on and laughed at him. He was so awkward that he made an even bigger target BECAUSE his family was rich. I can see what you mean, though.

      Curious that they'd do that, huh?

      Delete