Alaric
I run down the stairs and find Dad in the living room area.
He must be able to read my expression. "Is something wrong?"
"Yes. You need to see this." I get out my phone.
"That's Ivy," he says. Dad remembers her. "But who's..."
"Mikey," Dad whispers. "I thought she miscarried."
"I know."
"He needs to see this." He gets out his phone.
After a quick phone call, he tells me Mike is on his way.
Dad told me to go ahead and show him, that there really wasn't a better way to break this news than visually. "You need to see something."
"Okay?"
"So, uh, my ex-girlfriend Kate is best friends with my now-girlfriend Kyra, and Kate is going to Willow Creek University."
"Okay. That's not complicated in the least," he remarks with a thick layer of sarcasm.
I purse my lips for a second. "Anyway, the two of them were talking on the phone earlier today when Kate saw someone, and she took a picture then texted it to me."
He sighs. "So what does this have to do with me?" He looks like he knows he's about to see a pic of Ivy. But it's way more than just that.
"You need to see this picture."
"Fine."
He looks at my phone and sighs. "Ivy. Your ex is in Willow Creek? Yeah, thaaaaaaaa...." He gets quiet, hardly breathing.
I hope I'm helping when I say, "He looks just like you."
"He..... aaaaaaaahhhhh.... a year. More. Due date was August. But..." He starts breathing quickly. "Give me your phone!" He snatches it out of my hand and holds the picture right up to his face, and he zooms in on the child. "BLUE eyes. Hers are grey. Those are blue, right?" He shows me for half a second.
"Yes. Just like Granma. Just like your dad. Just like you."
"Mine." He takes a breath.
"THAT B*TCH STOLE MY SON!"
I carefully take my phone back.
"SHE LIED! SHE F--KING LIED!" He reaches for my phone again.
"I'll send it to you." I start backing up.
Mike buries his face in his hands. "She said it was all my fault. She lied to me. She lied, and she's kept him from me!"
Dad walks over.
Mom does too, having gathered what's happening. She's growling under her breath a string of curses and what she'd like to do to Ivy if she ever gets the chance.
Dad speaks audibly. "Let me help you."
Mike is like he's on the same wavelength. "We need birth records from Willow Creek General and surrounding hospitals from July through September. Unfortunately, Stewart is a relatively common last name."
"Stewart! That's what I couldn't remember!" The two of them go upstairs to Mom and Dad's room, where Dad keeps his best computer.
"How could she do this to me?" What story did she cook up in her mind to make her want to keep a father from his child?
I'm glad Uncle Alex is doing the digging, searching birth records by using the mother's name. I can barely string two thoughts together.
I have a son! And I don't even know his name! My phone chirps. Alaric's text came through. Took it long enough. I check my phone. Oh. That was the second chirping to remind me I got a text. I guess I didn't hear it the first time.
"Mikey, do you want to sit down?"
"No. I'm fine. Well... not fine. But I don't want to sit."
He suddenly sits up. "Bingo. 'Mother: Ivy Delaney Stewart, Father: unknown.'"
"Unknown my ass." I stomp over to the computer.
He keeps reading. "Brent Michael Stewart."
I sit down on the floor. Then I start crying. Aunt Em comes over and starts rubbing my shoulder, saying stuff.
I thought I'd never have children! And I have a son! And she gave him Michael as his middle name!
I look my uncle in the eyes. "I want to fight a custody battle. I want a paternity test done. I want my child!"
"Yes. You need to see this." I get out my phone.
"That's Ivy," he says. Dad remembers her. "But who's..."
"Mikey," Dad whispers. "I thought she miscarried."
"I know."
"He needs to see this." He gets out his phone.
After a quick phone call, he tells me Mike is on his way.
Dad told me to go ahead and show him, that there really wasn't a better way to break this news than visually. "You need to see something."
"Okay?"
"So, uh, my ex-girlfriend Kate is best friends with my now-girlfriend Kyra, and Kate is going to Willow Creek University."
"Okay. That's not complicated in the least," he remarks with a thick layer of sarcasm.
I purse my lips for a second. "Anyway, the two of them were talking on the phone earlier today when Kate saw someone, and she took a picture then texted it to me."
He sighs. "So what does this have to do with me?" He looks like he knows he's about to see a pic of Ivy. But it's way more than just that.
"You need to see this picture."
"Fine."
He looks at my phone and sighs. "Ivy. Your ex is in Willow Creek? Yeah, thaaaaaaaa...." He gets quiet, hardly breathing.
I hope I'm helping when I say, "He looks just like you."
"He..... aaaaaaaahhhhh.... a year. More. Due date was August. But..." He starts breathing quickly. "Give me your phone!" He snatches it out of my hand and holds the picture right up to his face, and he zooms in on the child. "BLUE eyes. Hers are grey. Those are blue, right?" He shows me for half a second.
"Yes. Just like Granma. Just like your dad. Just like you."
"Mine." He takes a breath.
"THAT B*TCH STOLE MY SON!"
I carefully take my phone back.
"SHE LIED! SHE F--KING LIED!" He reaches for my phone again.
"I'll send it to you." I start backing up.
Mike buries his face in his hands. "She said it was all my fault. She lied to me. She lied, and she's kept him from me!"
Dad walks over.
Mom does too, having gathered what's happening. She's growling under her breath a string of curses and what she'd like to do to Ivy if she ever gets the chance.
Dad speaks audibly. "Let me help you."
Mike is like he's on the same wavelength. "We need birth records from Willow Creek General and surrounding hospitals from July through September. Unfortunately, Stewart is a relatively common last name."
"Stewart! That's what I couldn't remember!" The two of them go upstairs to Mom and Dad's room, where Dad keeps his best computer.
Michael
Ivy is an even bigger b*tch than I ever thought possible! How could she do this to me? How could she do this to our son!
I can sickeningly see how it all must've played out: She'd planned it. She lost her mind, decided she hated me, and decided she wanted to keep the baby all to herself.
I'm glad Uncle Alex is doing the digging, searching birth records by using the mother's name. I can barely string two thoughts together.
I have a son! And I don't even know his name! My phone chirps. Alaric's text came through. Took it long enough. I check my phone. Oh. That was the second chirping to remind me I got a text. I guess I didn't hear it the first time.
"Mikey, do you want to sit down?"
"No. I'm fine. Well... not fine. But I don't want to sit."
He suddenly sits up. "Bingo. 'Mother: Ivy Delaney Stewart, Father: unknown.'"
"Unknown my ass." I stomp over to the computer.
He keeps reading. "Brent Michael Stewart."
I sit down on the floor. Then I start crying. Aunt Em comes over and starts rubbing my shoulder, saying stuff.
I thought I'd never have children! And I have a son! And she gave him Michael as his middle name!
I look my uncle in the eyes. "I want to fight a custody battle. I want a paternity test done. I want my child!"











EEK. So it is Michael's baby. Oh boy. I hope Ivy has a good excuse. Other than the whole 'not man enough for you' spite. Things feel like they're gonna get messy. Or lovely? I can't decide. Either way, between this and the proposal, looks like Michael's finally getting purpose that extends beyond the contents of his pants! I wonder if the chop method works with all oversexed men (joking, I'm joking...)
ReplyDeleteOh yes, it's his. Those eyes don't lie. That, and the timeframe matches. We'll hear from Ivy in a little while whether or not she has a good excuse, but you might be on to something. Hmmmm.... a lovely mess might work to describe it? hehe. OMG I laughed so hard at the contents of his pants thing. Poor Mike. Well, he did it to himself to a certain extent. Ooooo "chop method"? Bad. Bad bad bad bad you. :D
DeleteThanks for commenting!
The good news and the bad news! Sorta like Alex but different. Mike wants the baby he thought he’d never have and clearly she lied to hi. To keep the baby. Does she want financial compensation? It doesn’t seem like it since she didn’t reach out, but maybe she’s biding her time.
ReplyDeleteYa know, I too realized the thing about the 'long lost son' happening for both of them at about the same time. That wasn't intentional hehe. Mike DEFINITELY wants that baby. The docs couldn't fix him enough to give him back his fertility, so this is a miracle. We'll hear about why Ivy did this later.
Delete