Saturday, October 13, 2018

Chain Reaction 3.39: Good Luck Charm




Jarvis

      My life is a dream. A dream come true. And I never want to wake up.
      Charlotte is back. She's also back working at the store. She's back in my life. As my girlfriend.
      I come downstairs from the apartment and find her closing out the register. It was another good day. Although, every day is a good day when I have Charlotte. My Lottie.

     She makes a little squeal-y sound when I pounce. "Jarvis!" she tries to say, but it doesn't come out clearly since I'm keeping her lips busy. I merely moan in response. I plumbing love this woman.
     At least once every week we've been together, I've asked her to marry me. She keeps saying it's too soon. I disagree. Well, obviously. Think about it: people wait to get engaged because they want to make sure they really know the person first. We don't have that issue. I know her better than I know anyone else. I know I love her, every bit of her, even the bit that broke my heart. How ironic that she was trying to prevent hurt when she did that. But that's in the past. Now, I have a present, and the present is indeed a gift. Why shouldn't I want to marry her?
     "Marry me, Lottie. Tonight. There's the prettiest wedding arch at the docks. I know how you like pretty spots. Let's elope." I kiss her sweet neck to let her breathe. After all, she can't answer me if her lips are covered.
     "Jarvis, please don't ask me. I hate saying no to you every time."
     "The way to fix that is to say yes." I kiss her again.

     I'm eager to have her as my wife. Don't get me wrong: I am still thrilled beyond measure that she's back in my life at all. I can't help but want her as much in it as possible.
     Her lips break from mine. "You don't even have a ring."
     I smile. "Oh, is that your only issue? I can go out and fix that right now."
     "All the shops are closed." She smirks playfully.
     "Hm. Then I'll go door to door and offer to buy one from someone who doesn't need it."
     "Jarvis, I love you. But slow down!"
     "I couldn't even if I tried." Nope. There is no slowing down this man in love. I kiss her and turn to press her against the countertop. Then, I lift her up onto it. We haven't woohooed, but that doesn't mean we haven't done anything along those lines. I love it when she wears a dress. And my talent for kissing has branched out into other... areas.

     A few days later, I decide to pay her dad a visit. She's back at the store, thinking I'm running errands. I don't really think of this as an errand. More of a plea for help.
     Mr. Taylor answers the door and smiles when he sees it's me. He likes me. He likes me because Lottie is happy, the happiest she's ever been he tells me.

      "So what's on your mind today, Jarvis?" he asks me and holds my shoulder for a second in a gesture of camaraderie. 
      "I want to marry your daughter," I reply, deciding to get right to the point.
      His face falls for a second, but then the smile returns.

     "I kind of had a feeling this discussion was coming; although I didn't think it would be this quickly."
      Looks like Lottie has a bit of her father in her. "I've known her a great deal of my life, and I've loved her almost that whole time."
      He looks surprised. "Really?"
      As a child and teen, I was scared of Lottie's dad. After all, he made it no secret that he hated my step-father. I did too, but I worried he wouldn't be able to see that. When he first met me a few weeks ago, he'd joked that he'd wondered if I was an imaginary friend since Lottie always talked about me yet he'd never seen me. And I got the feeling he's never considered me to be a Landgraab.
      "Yes, although it was a bit different when we were younger, of course."
      "Have you asked her yet?"
      I almost snort. "Only about a dozen times."
      His eyebrows go up. "Really?" he asks again. "And she's turned you down?"

      "Well, uh, not so much as 'turned me down' as telling me to wait." I watch as a corner of his mouth goes up.
      "You have to admit she's got a point. You've barely been together a month. What's the rush?"
      I'm going to pull my hair out! Why?! Why does he have to agree with her?!
      Then, ever the salesman, I think of a new angle, one that will hopefully put things into perspective. "I don't want to waste any more time. I want to spend as much of my life as possible with her. As a family."

      His face falls, and he gets a faraway look. I go on to explain my stance on the fact that Lottie and I have already passed that 'getting to know you' phase and how I want to take the next step, but I don't know how much of it he hears.
     "Time is precious," he says sadly. "I can understand not wanting to waste it."
     "I wish I could've met her, Charlotte's mom." I know that's what he was thinking.
     "The girls are just like her. Not only do they look like her, but they act like her too." He smiles sadly. Then, he looks at me like he's considering something. "I think I know a way that might help you. I'll have to make it up to Chloe, but I think it would be better worn than sitting in a box."
      I'm confused, wondering what he'd have to 'make up to' Charlotte's sister for.
      He gets up, goes to his bedroom, and comes out holding a little black box. Handing it to me, he says, "I bought that long before I thought I was going to ask Claire to marry me." Holy plum, it's Lottie's mom's wedding ring! "And well, I had that in my pocket at the romance festival. The next morning, we were married."
     "Sir," I ask, looking up at him, "are you sure about this?" I now understand why Chloe might throw a fit.
     He smiles sadly. "I'd rather see it on one of my girl's hands than have it collect dust. Maybe it'll be your good luck charm."

Click here to go to 3.40

4 comments: