Friday, September 22, 2017

Chain Reaction 3.11: A Chance




Charlotte

      The past years have gone by so fast! Everyone is aging up. When Mikey aged to teen a few years ago... Excuse me, when Michael aged to teen, he became a major grump. And I thought Chloe was bad. But Michael isn't bossy. No, he broods in his room on his computer. 
     On a happier note, Jarvis is doing well, and I like to think that I have something to do with that. The past few months, he kept telling me that he couldn't wait for me to age to teen so it wouldn't be so weird that I acted mature and looked like a kid. Heck, I was just happy he said I acted mature. I was only mimicking him. He's really grown up. He's still a teen, but he acts more like an adult than a teen. Well, except for those moments when he'd carry me under one arm because I'd start throwing a fit about something. That was his way of handling it. It made me so mad when he'd do that. Still he's one of my best friends.
     Speaking of best friends, I always considered Tommy to be my best friend. Turns out he asked me to be his girlfriend all those years ago because he thought that was the only way he could have a girl as a friend. We've recently aged to teen, and I haven't seen him yet.

      "Hey, Chah-wet," I hear behind me. It can only be Tommy. He overheard Michael calling me that one day and has never let me live it down. It's how Mikey used to pronounce my name when he was little.
      I giggle. He's trying to tease me, but I have to admit it is funny when you look at it from his point of view.

     I turn around. He'd asked me to meet him here, at this kind of museum-type place close to my house. "Nice shirt," I tell him. It's actually a little ridiculous, but I still like it.
     He stares at my shirt, probably trying to make sense of the llama. "Nice, uh, nice shirt too." He's embarrassed. Geez, it was just a compliment. He takes a breath. "So, out looking for more collectibles?" He still doesn't like my friendship with Jarvis.
     "Nah. There aren't really any here. They keep it very cleaned up. I'm here because this is where you said to meet."
     "Oh. Yeah. Right. I just wanted to pick a place close to your house so that you could get home in time before your dad started worrying."

      I laugh. "I'm out late all the time. He stopped worrying a long time ago."
      Tommy acts like he's surprised in a bad way with this information. Is he mad at Dad for not being worried? He knows Dad's taught me self-defense stuff, so it's not like he doesn't care.
      He straightens his face up. "Man, my mom could take a lesson from that, I guess. I had to text her when I got here and have to text her before I leave so she knows."
      "Do you have to text her when you get home too?" I kid.
      He laughs. "Maybe I should so she'd get the idea that it's overkill."
      "I like your mom."
      Smiling, he replies, "She likes you too. Sometimes, I wonder if she wishes you were her kid and not me."
      "Tommy! Don't kid about stuff like that." I'm serious.
      He brushes off me scolding him. "Speaking of kids. Sorry if this sounds lame, but I'm really glad we're finally teenagers."
      "That's not lame! I am too." I grin mischievously. "So, does this mean you can be best friends with a girl?" I've never given up teasing him and his crazy rule.
      He looks down in a kind of guilty way. "You've always been my best friend."
      I knew it! I throw my arms around him.

     He hugs me back, putting his hand in my hair. He's happy. When he pulls back, his nose runs along my throat. Then his lips do too.

       I gasp. "Tommy..." I want to pull back, but his arm pulls me into him.
       He sighs. "Oh, Charlotte."

     I make a surprised 'Mmm!' noise when he lifts his head and presses his lips on mine. He moves with me like he expected it when I try to pull my head back. 
     It's not... bad. It's not like he's forcing himself on me, just gently letting me know he's not going to move away right away. I tilt my head up a little, and he takes a tiny step forward, holding me tighter. His hand goes up to the back of my neck, and he sighs into me before getting more into the kiss.
      Why haven't I pulled away yet? It's only been a few seconds, but when he presses on my neck, pushing me into him, I don't resist. I think...I think I start kissing him back. At least...my lips are moving.

       I freeze entirely when he manages to open my mouth and stick his tongue in it. He makes a kind of groaning noise, but I've had enough. What am I doing?! I push roughly against him. What was it Daddy said?
      I stomp, hard, on his foot.

     He knows he just screwed up.
     "That, uh, that just kinda happened."
     "But why did you do it, Tommy?" I can't look at him. Did I actually kiss him back? Well, until he stuck his tongue in my mouth.
     "I don't know."
     "Don't lie."
     "How do you know I'm lying?"
     "I just do."
     "Okay. Fine! Guess what, Charlotte, I like you. No, I love you."
      "What? Tommy!"
      "I love everything about you. I have for a long time. That is not a lie. I doubt there is anyone anywhere that knows you better than I do, and I love you."
      I put my hands on my forehead. "Tommy, no, we're friends. You're my best friend."
      "Charlotte, I meant it when I said you're my best friend. I did."
      For some reason, him saying that now makes me really mad.

     "No!" I scream. He jumps back, completely startled. "That's not what best friends do. If you knew everything about me, you'd know that!"
     "Whoa! Hold on a sec! Yes, I do know that. At least, I know that's what you think, but you kissed me back, Charlotte!"
     That stops me up short. He's right. But...

      "My parents... They're best friends. And they love each other. My mom told me that. I think she knew I liked you. I think she told me that on purpose, hoping we'd get together."
       I'm livid. "Oh, don't you dare bring her into this." I love his mother. Sometimes, I'd pretend she was my mother, and him saying she wanted us to get together hurts. He's not lying. At least, that's what he thinks she thought, and I have to admit he could be right.
      "Why not? I'm only using them as an example. It happens all. the. time, Charlotte. Look, I don't want to fight." 
      "Then you shouldn't have kissed me."
      "I thought it was a good time to finally let you know. This isn't how I wanted this to happen."
      I snort. "No kidding."
      "You kissed me back," he reminds me again, and I relax.

      He continues, "That didn't come from nothing."
      "Tommy, don't." I don't want to think about why I might've kissed him back. Tommy is my friend
      "You know if I'd just come out and told you how I felt that you'd immediately shut down. You have this...thing...with feelings and all. So, I thought I'd just kiss you." He pauses, and I don't know what to say. "And it worked. Charlotte, you kissed. me. back." A smile starts creeping into his features.
      "No," I whisper, but I know he's right. I don't know what happened.

     "So, you're going to deny kissing me back." When I don't reply, he says, "Please give this a chance."
     I want to throw all my old arguments at him again, but I know what he'll say. He's already said them. "You're my best friend," I mumble, my anger having fled for now.
     "Then this is the next, natural step. I love you."
     My hands go up to my ears in a childish gesture. "Stop saying that."
     He acts like he feels sorry for me. "Just because I don't say it doesn't mean it's any less true." After a beat, he reaches out and gently grasps my upper arm. "You're shutting down. Please, talk to me."
     You know, it might be easier if he were being bossy or mean, but he's not. And the compassion is killing me. I liked it better when we were just joking around. Why can't we just stay friends?
      "Stop it!" I throw his arm off me. He looks hurt, and I hate that. "I don't know why I kissed you back, but I wish I hadn't." His eyes remind me that I still did. "No, Tommy. Leave me alone." 
      I dart around him and make a break for it. He calls out and tries to chase me, but he gives up when I get close to my house.

     The next day, I decide to worry about what happened last night another time. Besides, today is the day I typically help Jarvis. I can't wait to see his reaction to me being a teen.

      "Hey, booger-brain!" I call out and laugh. This is going to be so sweet.

      He turns around. "No. Way." I smile. I knew he'd be surprised!

4 comments:

  1. It would be sweet if Tommy didn't push so hard. :( It kind of makes him unlikeable.
    And Jarvis is cuter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but he thinks he has to be in order to make Charlotte understand.
      Yes, he is. :)

      Delete
  2. Ohh. I want her and Jarvis. I like a Tommy. He isn’t being mean. They are actually more like Claire and Ethan than her and Jarvis. But we just saw her with Jarvis first. But unlike them, she’s not ready for the next step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *giggles* Well, I'm glad you get that Tommy isn't being mean about it. I guess they ARE like Claire and Ethan with the whole friends and school and stuff. But yeah, why on earth would a writer put her with someone else first?

      Delete