Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Chain Reaction 2.92: I Smell A Rat




Ethan

      I arrive at the park and the area the man on the phone told me to meet him at. It's off the beaten path--not enough to make the Maker happy but enough to show that it's off the beaten path. Sure, the Maker could've made a set upon which to shoot this chapter, but She's lazy. At any rate, the place is nice and deserted this time of the night.
     As I approach him, I wonder who he is. Odds are he's wanted for something, but honestly, if he helps me catch Malcolm, I'll look the other way.
     'Some police officer you are, Ethan. You're dumping previously-held principles to suit your personal needs. That's the kind of thinking that criminals use.' I ignore my inner voice.
     When I get close enough, I ask, "John Doe?" Obviously, he didn't give me his real name. Not a very creative fake name, either.

      "You must be Detective Taylor," he replies with a look like he's sizing me up. There's an arrogance about him that immediately reminds me of Malcolm. However, if he helps me get Malcolm, I can put up with him thinking he's the king of Simopia. My precious Claire is dead; I want my hands around the Landgraab bastard's throat.

      I decide to follow his lead and not directly reply. "You said you had some information that I might find enlightening."
      "Yes. Your buddies have been searching for him, but they're looking for him in all the wrong places."
      "Then why not contact 'my buddies'?"

      "You would rather I give them this information? I'm guessing you were not placed on the case due to some pathetic 'ethics' reason, am I correct?"
      "That wasn't what I asked. I'm only wondering why you've chosen to contact me personally."
      "Let's just say I think a man should have the right to catch his wife's murderer."

     "Then we're in agreement. Why don't you give me the information. That's why you called me out here, right? I want the man's head on a silver platter--and that's after he admits guilt and after he begs for mercy."

     The man has the gall to lightly laugh at me. "No mercy from a police officer? Is this what the world is coming to?"
     My teeth clench. "Not when his wife is murdered in cold blood." I glare. "You can't possibly understand what it feels like to then not be able to hunt down her killer myself."
     He immediately straightens up. "Don't assume I can't sympathize."
     "And who is to say that you're not leading me to a trap?"
     He smiles again. "You're not as dumb as you look."

      I snap. "Either say what you have to say or p*ss off. I don't have time to stand here and be laughed at."
      "Calm down." He waits for me to take a breath. "Like any good villain, Malcolm has a secret subterranean room at his house. Its entrance is undetectable. But I know where it is. I can almost guarantee you that's where the rat is hiding."
      I think I can see where this is going. "And what do you want in return for telling me its location?"

       "Thank you for asking." He cracks a smile then looks serious again. "I feel I may find it beneficial to have an ally in the police department."
       I snort. "Oh yeah? Why?" What has he done?
       "Come now, Detective Taylor, you can't expect me to reveal all my secrets now, can you?"
       "So, you're wanting some random favor in the future in exchange for telling me where that rat is."
       "Correct."
       "And what is your relation to Malcolm Landgraab that you would know this?"
       Another quick smile. "I'm sorry, but I can't tell you that."
       Something clicks in my brain. I've heard the same voice dozens of times as I've listened to that last message from Claire. "YOU!" The man immediately takes a step backwards, surprised at my sudden outburst. "You were... That was... YOU! You were there! You're Tony!"
      "Shh! Do you want my help or not?" His eyes quickly shift back and forth like he's calculating his different means of escape.
      "Your 'help'? That was your voice on the message! You were there! Why didn't you help then? You saw him shoot her!"

      He sighs and rubs his forehead. "Yes. I didn't think that was what he was going to do."
      "I should arrest you."
      His hand quickly moves away, and he gives me a cold expression. "You could try. But then you'd never find out where Malcolm is hiding."
      I match his cold stare. "But you've already told me: somewhere in his house."
      "Your boys have searched that place from top to bottom and found nothing. I told you: it's undetectable."
      "I could get you to tell me anyway."
      We stand here and stare at each other.
      Finally, he breaks the silence. "I would not advise you following through on any plan you're forming in your head, detective. If you ever want to catch Malcolm, you need someone from the inside to do it."
      Ugh! That bastard Malcolm used to come into the station Every. Day, and now we can't find him. I again wonder why this guy is even offering to help. There's something he's not telling me. "So, in exchange for you telling me where he's hiding, I'm supposed to let you walk."
      "Yes, but I'm not going to tell you. I'm going to show you."
      Trap. For half a second, I consider arresting him instead. However, when I think about it honestly, I'm more interested in getting Malcolm. This could be a trap, yes. But what could they do? Kill me? The only reason I have left to live is my children. And Emily can take care of them.
      "Fine. When?"
      "How about now?"
---------------------------------------
Shoutout to Aeon with the Simopia thing. I miss that awesome story.

8 comments:

  1. This could be a trap. I'm not sure if Ethan should trust him, unless Tony is actually wanting to help him, with Tony you can never know. (Unless in Heffners, it's kinda predictable there who he would help as we have his POV sometimes.)I'm worried now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be, yes. There are plenty of reasons Ethan Shouldn't trust Tony, but since Finn isn't uncovering anything good enough to catch Malcolm, he needs to use whatever help is offered. I'll just say Tony's reasons coincide with the Heffner legacy as to why he'd possibly help Ethan.

      Delete
  2. I guessed as much (about the heffner bit).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Not exact, but close. Mostly because I screwed up some details should I try to have it completely match up.

      Delete
  3. At first I was asking myself: Why would Tony help him at all? And then you threw this line in: "Let's just say I think a man should have the right to catch his wife's murderer" and I was sold. It makes perfect sense if we assume this is Tony from the Heffners who just nipped out to your story for one job, that unfortunately went wrong. Also the mention of his arrogance made me oddly happy. Because that's exactly the impression he gives off. That's how we could see him in the first story he ever appeared. Can't wait to see how this unlikely duo works together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. That's exactly why. He told him without really telling him. Those that know, know, and those that don't can go read the Heffners and find out. :)
      I'm glad you're happy about the arrogance because that's the vibe Ethan was getting from Tony. It could also be that he's got Malcolm so much on the brain that even the slightest thing sets him off. But this wasn't a slight thing. Let's face it. Tony has an arrogance. It's deserved and earned, but yeah.
      I just hope I don't disappoint!

      Delete
    2. Not at all. I think you captured him better than many, at least from my perspective. It's not like my version of him is the only correct one. I just spend most time thinking about him and fleshing his character out. My version of him only reflects my dreams and desires of what he should be like. And I have to say I'm most honored and humbled whenever people want to use my version of him and write him the way I do it - as a man torn between his darker, cruel and sarcastic self and the man he wants to be for the one he loves. You could have completely disregard all that and write him differently.

      Delete
    3. Yes you spend a lot of time thinking about him, don't you? :P :) I'm glad the effort I put into writing him is appreciated and doesn't make you want to roll your eyes. I must've changed his dialogue 10 times before finally 'hearing' it correctly.

      Delete