Thursday, August 10, 2017

Chain Reaction 2.90: Can't Handle It



Ethan

      I get home from work, and my phone beeps at me. Claire. Probably telling me she's going to be late again. She left a message.


      "Ethan! You were right. MorcuCorp. You were right."
      Huh? Claire! What are you doing?! The message keeps playing even though she no longer speaks into the phone. I can barely make out noises, even though I strain to listen. Where is she? MorcuCorp Headquarters? Oh plumbob!
      My stomach drops through the floor when I hear her scream. I stand frozen in fear. The phone sounds like it's been dropped on the ground. "...back down...children!" Then, I hear a man's voice. "...them...belong!" Panting, I try to slow my heart rate as I continue to strain to listen. More muted voices.
     Then a gunshot.
     I make a strange noise and fall to my knees. No. Please no. Tears run down my face. If I could move, I'd be running out the door, but I'm frozen. No amount of training could ever prepare me for this.
     I hear the man's voice again, cursing this time. I hear more background, another voice. It kind of sounds like someone giving orders. The first man's voice gets louder. He must be holding her phone. "...for the last time." There's a pause, and then he speaks directly into the phone. "Malcolm killed her." He hangs up.

     Someone is screaming. Seeing Mikey run in the room, I wonder if it's him. "Daddy!" The screams continue. "Daddy, what is it?" Mikey looks scared.



      "Ethan."
      Charlotte whimpers. My daughter's tears are the worst. She always sits next to me. I sleep on the couch because I can't bear to be in my own bedroom.
      "Ethan."
      Is my phone ringing? I can never tell with this new phone. I had to turn in my old one. Evidence and all. The... the other phone... her phone's last ping was from a bridge near the bay.
      "Ethan, wake up."
      My head hurts.
      "Em-em," Charlotte cries.
      Emily? I open my eyes. Something is happening at my feet.

      "Come here, sweetheart." Emily reaches for Charlotte, who starts crying anew.

     Emily walks back into the living room and has a seat next to me. "Hi," I tell her.
     Mom and Dad were here to help me the first week. I was going out of my mind. They can't find Malcolm. They say they know who the man's voice was after enhancing the voicemail. Malcolm called him Tony. I don't care about Tony as much as I want to see Malcolm's head on a pike.
     "Was she hungry?" I ask. I've been doing okay this week. I'd convinced Mom and Dad that I wanted them to go home. I'm doing better. The kids are fed, even if my cooking skills are not that great.
     "She was exhausted, Ethan. I had to promise her I'd sit here next to you so that she'd sleep." She looks like she's scolding me but trying to rein it in.
     "Oh."
     "Mikey called me. He told me that other than doing the bare minimum, you've been doing nothing but sleep on this couch."
     "They were fine! I even bathed the twins day-before-yesterday."
     For just a second, she looks furious. Then, she takes a deep breath and closes her eyes. Emily with a temper? "Mikey has been doing his best to try and fill in for all the other things, the little things, but he's overwhelmed. Why haven't you called anyone asking for help?"
     "I'm fine."
     "Sleeping on the couch all the time isn't fine. Charlotte has been sitting next to you or near you for fear that you'll 'disappear' too when she's not looking. That's Mikey's guess anyway. He's tried his best to keep Chloe entertained, but she does nothing but tell him how he's not doing anything right."
      I scowl and look at the floor. My head feels like one big haze, but that's better than the pain that comes when I let myself think too much. Yes, I did bathe the twins, but I couldn't keep from crying when I was washing their hair.
      "Alex and I are going to help out. Try to stop us and you'll fail." My little sister gives me a look like she's daring me to say something.
      My lower lip quivers. "You can use my room."

     So, my sister and brother-in-law become fixtures around my house. Emily's right. I sleep. A lot. I can't help it. I'm so tired. I realize now that the reason I would do anything was for Claire. I have no reason to live other than to care for my children...and apparently, I suck at that now too.
     Divers found her body. We had a funeral. I'm sad to say I don't remember much of it.

     I keep her ashes in the kitchen. I plan on doing something more special with them, but I just can't handle it right now.

      Sometimes, I see things as like Emily is here for me...and Alex is here for Emily. I remember when I used to be the strong one.
      That's not to say Alex doesn't do what he can for me. He's really stepping in and helping with the kids. Mikey had fallen behind in his schoolwork, and I hear them working on it in the kitchen or outside in the yard. Sometimes, Alex just comes in and sits next to me quietly while we watch random things on TV. On occasion, I ask him how his custody battle is going. He tells me he's figuring out just how stubborn Selena can be.

     I tell Emily that I'm going back to work after the twins' birthday.
     "Ethan, are you sure?"
     "It's been long enough." What I'm not telling her is that I really want to find out what Finn has found on the case. He's been placed in charge of the manhunt for Malcolm Landgraab. They'd done a raid on the headquarters. I want to get involved. This is my wife we're talking about, dammit. I want partnered in on that case.

     As a test, Emily tells me to sleep in my bed. Sure enough, I wake up screaming. It's always a little better if Emily can sleep in here with me. Hey, it's still progress.

      Emily and Alex pay for another bathroom to be added to the house, attached to the master bedroom. I'm grateful...for everything they do for me. I'm on indefinite leave, but it's unpaid.
     The kids are excited because Emily and Alex said they were going to help them redecorate their bedrooms after the twins age up.

     That day arrives. We don't have a party. No crowds in this house, please.
     I feel like Claire is here in spirit.
     Chloe first.

      Then my sensitive little Charlotte.


     I get back to work. Before I go and talk to the chief about it, I take Finn aside and tell him what I want. I can't read his expression at first.
     He looks at me...and he looks concerned. "Ethan, man, I don't think that's the best idea."
     "Are you nuts? This is my wife here. I wanna catch that bastard."
     "I can't imagine what you're going through, but I don't think you can handle this."
     "What?!" My friend and colleague...I want to punch him in the face.
     I storm out of the room, ready to go over his head. Surely, the chief knows how I'd want this case.

      But the chief agrees with Finn.

      Who do they think they are anyway? Their wives weren't murdered with the killer STILL on the loose.
      My phone rings. I don't recognize the number. It's probably someone trying to sell me something.
      "What?" I bark into the phone.
      "Ethan Taylor?"
      "Yes. Whaddaya want?" Go ahead and try to sell me something, mister. I'll bite your damn head off.
      "I know the man you seek, and I have information on his whereabouts that I think you'll find enlightening."

12 comments:

  1. WAIT. HOLD UP. CLAIRE REALLY DIED?! I don't even know what to say. I was sure that, I dunno, Ethan would find the message sooner and save her?? This came at me out of nowhere. I didn't expect her to really die. Sure, I was concerned when she got shot, but I didn't think that her death would be a thing. This messed me up a bit. I don't think I was mentally prepared.
    And she was such a great character too! Gah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. :( There are things I want to happen in the future of the story, so, backtracking, this became the most plausible catalyst. I kept telling myself, 'no, I can't do it,' but every other way didn't work as well. I needed to show how truly evil Malcolm is.
      Ethan actually got the message about an hour later, one of those awful cellphone screwups when they don't deliver stuff on time. (I could go conspiracy theory here, but anyway) Besides, even if he'd Answered the phone, he couldn't have made it in time. The lab is at least 30 minutes away. Claire would've been dead by then anyway. The gunshot destroyed her heart, it being at such close range. She died almost instantly. (going back to another recent gunshot wound, Drake was off by a few inches, it more went to the lung)

      I'm so, so sorry! Yes, she was a fantastic character, but she's leaving behind three wonderful children with different aspects of her personality, so she won't ever be completely gone.

      Delete
    2. As heartbroken as I may be, I have to applaud you for doing this the way you did. I wouldn't be able to kill a character I liked even if I had no other ideas, and even if I did I would probably bring them back in some mysterious way. Not only that, but your timing couldn't have been better. Things have been going great for a while, with Em and Alex getting married and stuff. Everyone was happy and I felt safe in a way. Like nothing could ever possibly go wrong at a time like this. Hell, everything was going so well I wasn't capable of imagining Claire dying. I may be overreacting and getting way to hyped about this, but I love a good plot, and after seeing a couple of awful movies, my feelings are in a limbo.

      Delete
    3. Thanks. I was actually worried that I was being too obvious with everything being so happy. I mean, I Am winding down on generation 2, so it's not so far-fetched a concept. As for bringing someone back, I've been known to do that, ambrosia and all (Uncomplicated generation 2), but sadly, I don't see that happening with this one. I'm not 100% ruling it out, though, don't want to commit one way or the other.
      What awful movies? The emoji movie? lol. Easy to make a bad movie, I'm afraid. Curious because I'm in the movie biz, trying to start a career as a script supervisor.

      Delete
    4. I agree the timing was great. Things were too good after Alex and Emily had their wedding and Graham wasn't making any problems.

      Delete
    5. And we can't have too much good. What fun is that? :P lol

      Delete
    6. Well, the movies I watched were mostly horror. It's sad how easy it is to mess up horror movies. I decided to be super cool and brave and watched the entire Human Centipede trilogy. Sure, I laughed and I feel like I understand that nothing about it was even supposed to be serious, but I still get flashbacks of certain scenes.
      I also watched a movie called Life that came out this year. Some things felt like plot holes to me and didn't make sense, and the ending was a weak twist that came out of nowhere, as if they stuffed it in there just because they could.
      I also tried to watch Cloverfield but after a while I realised that I din't care about any of the characters because they were all massive assholes.
      I also watched Knock Knock. For a while it was okay but then it started shoving twist after twist toward the ending. Twists can be good, but not when they're in such a short amount of time.
      The last one I watched was Ouija Origin of Evil. It was okay as a horror movie, but the way they used the board borderline offended me. I like this kind of stuff and I managed to memorise certain things, like how to properly dispose of a board if anything happens. I strongly believe that if you're making a movie about something you should read about it a little and research things. It's not hard and it can only help the movie. I don't even know if I believe in ghosts or demons, but just the fact that a movie could ignore the basic rules of something it is supposed to be about angered me.
      That felt like an essay. Sorry if I wrote too much, but whenever I talk about movies I don't like, I feel obligated to point out what I hated. I'm really passionate about disliking things.

      Delete
    7. That was great! I sat and read your reviews to my coworkers, and they liked it. In fact, my 1st AD went on a little story about how important research is.
      And the twists thing reminds me of Lost and how hard it got to understand in Season 6.

      Delete
  2. I have to say I was a little confused after Ethan heard the last message Claire gave him, because next part is Ethan just sleeping on the couch doing nothing. The time jump wasn't obvious to me right away and it looked like he dropped on the couch after he listened to the message. So many important things seemed to have happened in a short time window and before I could even process Claire's unexpected death there's the sudden time jump that throws us from high speed to a standstill.
    I hope that Claire's death will bring some interesting changes to Ethan's character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duly noted. I did want it to be a bit confusing because Ethan just lost it. When the text comes back is a little after he attempts to pull himself together. I just zipped right to the insanity with the plan to mention what happened in an after-the-fact kind of way. Still sorry for the confusion. Maybe next time I'll make a sentence or two implying that he just lost his mind.

      Oh, but it does. It surely does.

      Delete