Friday, October 15, 2021

Chain Reaction 3.1.81: Chez Llama

 

Isabella

     Braydon makes me feel like I want to scream and throw everything in sight. He loves me; he wants me; then he keeps insisting he won't touch me. Except he does. Then he gets mad.
     I want to figure out how I feel about him. I do know that I love how he loves me, and I'm definitely attracted to him. But as far as his stubbornness... Ugh!
     I made an appointment with a lawyer. It's the one who was most instrumental in helping to free Daddy. He did all that work only for Dad to get murdered. That's gotta sting his professional pride. He was able to fit me in at the end of his Friday. That surprised me. He's staying late just for me?
     The last thing the receptionist does before she leaves is tell me to go right in. I get the strong suspicion that she hates her job.

     "Hello," he starts to stand but then almost-clumsily flops back down into his chair, "Isabella Love. It's been a few years, even though I doubt you remember me."
     I smile. I do kind of remember him, and I tell him so. "Thank you for agreeing to see me."

      Coat and tie: I was right. I'd decided to dress professional-professional to meet with my new lawyer.
     Adrien Finch chuckles, "It's not a problem. It's not as if I have pressing matters elsewhere."
     Hm. There's a story in what he said, almost a kind of cynical attitude.
     I smile anyway. "Well, I'll get right to it. I want to divorce my dickhead of a husband." I pull the necessary paperwork out of my inventory he asked me to bring. Then he starts telling me how I'm entitled to half of everything given the length of our marriage.
     "I don't want it."
     "Ms. Love, are you sure?"
     "Don't call me Ms. Love, either. I'm changing my name as soon as I can get to it."
     "Sure, no problem. But... if we force him to sell the house, you're looking at a tidy profit. And then there's also child support."

     "I don't want his money. We've moved in with my mother, and I think we'll just stay there. She's getting older and could use some help." I sigh. "He drove me nuts as he worried about money. All we did was fight. I'm just tired of fighting."
     "And you want to have full custody of your son," he states in a questioning sort of way.
     "Of course. Kade won't want that."
     "People can sometimes surprise you." He leans back in his chair, and it makes a faint creaking noise. Then he pops back up.

     "I apologize, but I'm suddenly starving. My lunch was less than stellar to say the least."
     "Oh! That's okay. You got what you needed from me, though, right?" It's past six, so I guess he might be hungry.
     His smile covers his face. "Well, there are still some things we need to discuss. How about we continue this conversation at Chez Llama? My treat."
     Whoa. That is a VERY expensive restaurant. It's the kind that Emily and Alex frequent. "Oh, no. I don't want to trouble you. Thank you for meeting me so late in the day, and on a Friday no less."
     "Nonsense! You'd be doing me a favor. I hate eating alone." He pauses. "It's either this or we schedule another meeting, but I'd really rather have everything lumped together in my mind."
     "Well, I... I suppose we could."
     "Wonderful! Let me grab my things, and I'll walk you out as I lock everything up."
     The sun had set while we were talking, and it'd started snowing. I have to watch my step so that I don't slip on the ice in these gorgeous, but impractical, heels. He holds my elbow to make sure I don't fall as he leads me to his Porsche.

     Wow. Chez Llama. I've never actually been in here. Now I'm doubly glad I dressed up at least somewhat for the meeting with my lawyer.

     The menu doesn't even list the prices. Well, I guess with the fees he charges, he can afford it. Thank the maker he said he was paying. "What even are these entrees?"
     He smiles, not looking up from his menu. "They're experimental dishes. I've tried almost all of them, and there really isn't a bad choice."
     "Okay."

     "If you don't mind, I'd like to order a bottle of Simtrus Bordeaux. It's usually a waste if I order it alone."
     Wine? Wine and I make dangerous partners. "Sure," I hear myself saying. I'm sure there's something special about the brand, but as I try to stay away from the stuff, I'm not familiar with it.
     "That's a pretty necklace."
     "Oh. Thanks. Yes, I like it." Well, at least that answers the question of whether or not he was staring at my chest.

     Apparently I order our waiter's favorite choice. He really lit up when I told him what I'd like.

     "So," I begin, "you said there was more we needed to talk about." This IS, after all, supposed to be a consultation/meeting, right?
     He sighs as if he's thinking, 'if we must.' "Hm. I believe we were discussing custody of your son."
     "That's right."
     "Are you sure Mr. Love isn't going to fight you on this?"
     "That would be a shock if he did." I listen as he asks me what kind of compromise I'd be interested in should the event happen. I tell him I want no less than primary custody. "I won't budge on that. You are capable of getting that for me, right?"

     He laughs like I told a good joke. "Of course I can!"
     Next, he again tries to persuade me to take half of everything, but I insist I don't want it. Then he keeps changing the direction of the conversation to things that have nothing to do with my upcoming divorce. Before I know it, our food arrives. Mine looks like a potted plant.

     "Then she started reporting on a case that I was involved with. Talk about conflict of interests! I have no idea what her manager was thinking." He's telling me about one of the reasons he and his ex decided to end it. "I guess you could call our entire relationship a conflict of interest." He pauses. "What do you like to do in your spare time, Isabella?"
     I tell him how I don't really have any hobbies; I just go to work and come home, but I love my job, love staying busy.
     We eat. He talks. He keeps getting me to talk about myself, and I get thirsty.

     I should've ordered a glass of water as well, I think as I look down at the liquid in the glass, my stomach beginning to knot up.

     We've pretty much finished when he turns to me and says, "Would you believe there is the cutest little park right next door, and I've never been to it?"
     "Well, you're a busy person." And what need would he have to go to it?
     "I am. But... do you mind if we visit it? For just a minute."
     I shrug. "Sure." My car is back at his office anyway.
     He smiles. "Thanks." Then he finishes his wine.
     When we get to the park, we step into a gazebo. That works better for my shoes.

     "Oh, Isabella. There is one more thing I forgot to ask you about. Are you seeing anyone?" He pauses. "You know, in case your future ex-husband tries to use that against you."
      "Um, not exactly." I tell him about Braydon but that nothing happened until I'd left Kade. "But nothing while we were still acting like a married couple." 
      He asks me to clarify some more, and he finds a small problem in that Kade could argue that the 'not exactly' relationship I have got started before the papers were filed.
      "But... I'd left him!"
      "Don't worry too much about it. It's an archaic thing now, but depending on the judge, it might be something to contend with."
      Sh*t! I think about all the times I wanted Braydon to do more than kiss me. Kade could've used that.
      Adrien watches my face fall. "Don't worry, Isabella. I've argued against this many, many times. I only needed to know if I would need to again." He takes my hands. "C'mon. You're starting to freeze."

     He keeps one of my hands. "So, not exactly, huh? Is the man an idiot?"
     "What?" I pause and stop walking. "But, I mean, it's a good thing, right? I don't want to give Kade ammunition."
     He smiles. "Do whatever the plum you want. I can argue anything."
     I start walking again, thinking of the 'little chat' I'm going to have with Braydon.
     "That man being an idiot could help my cause, though. I hope I don't lose you as a client by possibly making you uncomfortable, but I won't deny that I am very attracted to you, Isabella."
      I don't know if I slip on the ice and snow or if my feet stop working, but I trip...

     ...and fall right into him. Did he plan that? How did he know I would slip?
     "Those are great shoes... for everything but walking in these conditions," he says quietly into my ear. He doesn't act interested in letting me go. "As to what I said, if you're not interested, just tell me."
     Told you so, I childishly tell the Braydon in my mind. To Adrien, I say, "I... I honestly have no idea."
     "I can work with that." I can feel his breath just behind my ear. He turns his face into my hair. "Do you have any 'not exactly' plans tomorrow night?"
     "I don't know." About a lot of things right now.
     He understands what I'm not saying, though. "Fair enough. May I call you?"
     "Okay." I turn my head to see him smiling. I can read his face like a billboard sign. He likes to win, and he thinks he feels a win here.
     He helps me to his car in a very I'm-not-going-to-try-anything-again kind of way. When we get back to my car, he very simply tells me good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment