Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Chain Reaction 3.48: Graham's Vow




Graham

     I am a good man.
     I was a good child. I never gave my parents any cause to worry. I was a good teen. I was an excellent student. I was a good boyfriend. Courtney, even when we broke up, still attested to that.
     I was a fantastic teacher. I could ask questions that would make students think for themselves. I taught them how to read history. History was written by the victors. I would teach them how to read the facts without including the victor's bias of events. The dean really liked me and my teaching methods.
     Then, my relationship with Brielle changed everything when it came out.
     Oh, I don't blame Brielle. She'd, out of fear of discovery, trapped herself into a lie. When everything came to light, I backed off. We began a true relationship after she became an adult.
     No, the problem wasn't Brielle.

     It was Alexander Goth.
     Ultimately, Alexander Goth is the reason I'm locked in a prison cell. He twisted past events into the eyes of the dean enough to get me fired. Then, he sabotaged any chance I had of finding any job in which a history degree would be beneficial. When the post with SIMS came up, what else could I do?
     Always the good student, I became good at what I did: gathering intelligence. I was assigned to be Geoffrey Landgraab's "accountant" to spy on him for the government. I got to know the man and everything he stood for. I could understand the government's suspicions of him, but they were truly unfounded. He was a good man, too. He wanted to make the world a better place by eliminating disease.
     His researchers had figured out how to isolate a virus' DNA. The plan was to figure out how to alter it so that it would attack itself. SIMS had already figured that out, but they themselves stopped at that. Their experiments yielded frightening results with the lab rat's DNA also mutating into whatever form the virus gave it. Then, the entire rat's body would attack itself, resulting in a very painful death. SIMS stopped their experiments. But I couldn't help but wonder if they'd just figured out how to have the virus isolate just the virus, it would be an astounding success and change the world of medicine forever.

     I gave the research to Geoffrey, knowing he would think the same as I and continue where SIMS left off. At the time of his death, his researchers were very close to a breakthrough. Obviously, I don't know how much farther they got. Code Orange meant that Geoffrey was dead and his worst suspicions about his son were true. Malcolm wanted to use the virus DNA technology and threaten the world with it. I can only guess he was missing a key piece of the puzzle or he would've succeeded.
    I am indeed guilty of the crimes I've been put away for. I gave government secrets to an "untrusted" entity. I almost indirectly caused an evil man to take over the country and then the world.

    But I am a good person! I've always been a good person! Where did I go wrong? How could being a good person land me here? When did my life change?
     If I had never worked for SIMS, I never would've worked for Landgraab Industries, better known as MorcuCorp. I never would've passed classified information. None of that would've happened had I just kept my career as a history professor at SCU. And why am I not a retired history professor from SCU? Because of Alexander Goth.
     At night, I dream about having my hands around the man's throat. He has taken a good person and twisted me into someone capable of violent action. He tried numerous times in numerous ways to steal my wife, and he did take my precious daughter from me.


     There is no one in this world whom I hate more than he, not even the son-in-law I've never met who got my Bella pregnant. Alex is an evil bastard, yet he's a free man. I'm a good person, and I'm locked up. Everything he touches rots, and it kills me because he has my Emily. Already, she's shown that she wasn't the same person, and it'll only get worse.
      If for some reason I ever get out of here, I vow I will kill him.

2 comments:

  1. There's a hole in your logic, Graham, Alex may have gotten you fired, but the decision to take the job as an "accountant" was all yours.
    I assume he's going to poison Emily's mind with all this when she visits him. Makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham and that logic you describe are no longer friends. He blames Alex for everything and hates that he "let" Emily marry him. Being locked up has given him time to put things into perspective, and that's the perspective he landed on, obviously. He sees everything at the turning point of his life when he got fired and Alex was sabotaging his prospects. Yes, he chose to work for SIMS. But don't try and throw that logic at him. He's blaming everything on Alex.

      Not saying I agree. I don't exactly disagree either. But that's what I like about it. :)
      More on Emily later..

      Delete