Friday, July 11, 2014
Uncomplicated 2.4: The Maker is lazy
Lucky Palms had an earthquake, and a large crack formed on one of the mountains when the world got transferred back and forth from folder to folder. The government officials promise to patch it up, but I don't trust them. They're probably just trying to avoid a panic. I don't know what will happen should there be a landslide.
I'm out worriedly looking at it one afternoon when Addie shows up.
"Addie! Did you do something different with your hair?"
"Yeah. I got it cut. Yours looks different too."
"It does. It's because The Maker is too lazy to go and find my hairstyle, yours too I guess, even though She went out of Her way to find things for Her other stories."
"You don't sound very grateful that She's paying attention to you again."
"Uh... I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I like this hair."
She smiles. "Oh, um, I need to tell you something, but I don't know how."
"I'm getting a very clear message here that you shouldn't overdramatize this because She doesn't want to spend too much time thinking up things for you to say."
"I'm pregnant."
"Oh," I manage to say, and it sounds like it's coming from someone else. My mind grinds to a halt while I stand here and do nothing but stare at her.
"Nick?" she asks after an unknown amount of time.
I need to react.
What do I do?
Do I want a kid? I'd always pictured myself as a hermit doing nothing but writing all day.
I guess I don't have a choice here.
I refrain from being a complete ass and asking her if it's mine. Instead, I ask the next typical question: "Are you sure?"
"Well, it's either that or some dreaded virus that has me puking my guts out every day, feeling tired, a little dizzy, having to pee all the time," I could've done without that one, thanks "missing my period, acting moody, making food taste different. You know, things like that."
"I could get Dad to take a look at you and see if it is a virus. Those could be viral symptoms."
"I don't have a virus, Nick. I'm pregnant, and it's yours."
I want to argue with her and say it's not. After all, she's also been dating Christopher Steele, but she says it's mine...
"Then I want you to move in with me," I say. I'm not going to have you saying you're carrying my baby while you're out dating other men. I may be a little selfish, but if she's claiming it's mine, I may as well also step up and be a man.
Surprising me, she agrees and moves in right away.
Time moves on. Monika gets widowed again when her husband Eli dies. She invites everyone to a party, but I don't go. A party? Really? Can you be any more tactless?
Thankfully, my parents welcome Addie into the household. I'm grateful. They keep dropping hints that she and I need to get married, but Addie looks very disinterested in that idea.
"We could wall-in part of the porch that goes off of Nick's room to make a nursery for the baby," Mom recommends, and the reality of what's happening hits me again.
"I'm not hungry," I tell the women, and Addie asks if she can have my French toast. I push it towards her. The woman is eating like... like.... a bird. Birds eat all the time. I have no idea why 'eating like a bird' is meant to mean that one hardly ever eats.
Compelled to yet again complete an opportunity, I have to convince this guy, Clark Bellamore, that logic is okay, great, or whatever. He's a firefighter, so, of course, when I call him so we can hang out, he says call back in 17 hours. Yeah. Right.
I found him at the park with his family... including a floating toddler... and he's crying his eyes out. Now, that expression makes more sense.
Judging from the thought bubble (strange how we have our thoughts displayed above our heads where everyone can see), he's been cheated on.
Do you think it has anything to do with your less-than-sexy, dinosaur print tank top?
The floating toddler creeps me out.
Oh. That's better. From left to right: Misti, Kenneth, Clark, and Kristopher Bellamore.
I befriend the guy and convince him about the logic thing while he thinks about makeup.
Wait... is he wearing blush? I guess he likes that sort of thing.
We talk for a while, and the older two kids run off to play while the toddler stays around us. Then, she starts screaming.
I pick the kid up and immediately realize the problem: diaper.
I guess this is what I have to look forward to.
Labels:
Uncomplicated
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














LOL...I skip acting like an ass and asking if it's mine...good job Nick. That is a sure fire way to get yourself hurt by a pregnant hormonal woman.
ReplyDeleteHe's not exactly suave in situations like those, a bit socially impaired I guess you could say.
Deletehahahahaha! surprise surprise daddy-to-be..... that guy in the park *LOL*
ReplyDeleteYep! Surprise!
DeleteI like that Clark. He keeps popping up.